During Islam Week, students, profs, analyze stereotypes

The diversity of students celebrating Islam Awareness Week reflected the core of the message the Muslim Students Association hoped to convey: Nothing can be generalized about Islam.

Over the last week, MSA hosted lectures and performances to dispel misconceptions about Islam. Irem Bilgic, SEAS ’12 and president of MSA, said he hoped the week would “inform people about the different backgrounds individuals bring to their faith.”

“A certain culture can not really represent all Muslim cultures because there are a lot of differences among Muslims themselves,” Bilgic, who is Muslim and of Turkic descent, said.

A common thread to the events over the last week was a call to action for those within the Muslim community to educate those who do not understand that Muslims come from a variety of backgrounds.

Alay Syed, BC ’15 and an organizational committee member of MSA, recalled being subject to verbal abuse from patrons of her family-owned store on Staten Island in the wake of 9/11.

Her sister was often yelled at for wearing her hijab, she said. Classmates blamed her. “People started asking me, ‘Why did you do it?’” she said. “And I’m like, ‘I didn’t do anything.’”

At Monday’s event, “The Muslim Next Door,” panelists addressed assumptions and generalizations often made about Islam. Anthropology professor Lila Abu-Lughod criticized what she described as an increasingly popular genre of writing in which Muslim women are portrayed as helpless property, putting Muslim men in a bad light. Many of these books, she said, portray events that did not happen.

“You have to ask, ‘What does this do?’ These books are sold to millions. It’s creating an emotional bedrock about Muslim women and how they are treated,” Abu-Lughod said. “These books, these representations, define views and structure feelings about Muslim women and their rights.”

Wajahat Ali, author of “The Domestic Crusaders,” a book about the media’s influence on the American perception of Islam, spoke out against generalizing Muslims.

“I am not him and he is not me,” he said. “He does not represent all of my community.” Ali urged Muslims to “become participants, not spectators.”

Although 63 percent of Americans say they don’t know a Muslim person, according to Ali, Islam has a lower favorability now than it did immediately following 9/11. This has led to an increase in bullying that Ali said has become more sophisticated since he attended high school in the 1980s.

“The worst thing they ever called me was Ghandi,” Ali said.

Imam Khalid Latif, chaplain for the Islamic Center at New York University, spoke at Thursday’s “Colors of Islam” panel.

Addressing Muslims in the room, he said, “You represent a unique segment of our population. If you all sat down and put your minds together, I’m sure you could get people to understand that the Muslim community is not a hegemonic community.”

Still, there are some within the Muslim community who are uncomfortable with spreading more accurate knowledge about their faith.

When Nourah Alhassoun, a graduate student in SEAS, wears a necklace with a charm of the Qu’ran on it, she often hides it rather than face the inevitable irrationally angry response to it.

She has her doubts, though. “I get afraid,” she said. “But then I feel this is my religion, why should I hide it?”

MSA Vice President Maliha Tariq, BC ’13, hopes that Islam Awareness Week has been able to fuel discussion and give the campus more information about Islam than the media does. But she recognizes that the effort goes far beyond just holding a week of events.

“It’s going to be hard to get people who should be coming to these kinds of events to come, but we’re hoping that by just holding them we might pique curiosity in people who wouldn’t necessarily come,” Tariq said.

bianca.dennis@columbiaspectator.com

Quran 4:34  Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior
to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They
guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear
disobedience, admonish them and forsake them in beds apart, and beat them.

+1
+4
-1

Quran 2:223  Women are your fields: go, then, into your fields whence you please.

+1
-4
-1

Would you like me to quote cherry-picked and badly translated Bible passages to "prove" that Christianity is misogynistic, homophobic, and racist?

Except no, you're determined to be a bigot, so I don't think that would solve anything.

+1
-1
-1

You'd probably have to draw a lot from the Old Testament (which a lot of "Christians" seem to do anyway) to make that argument.  Though one suspects any bible written in a modern language is quite a mutation from whatever was originally committed to paper.

If the translation is truly so bad as to change the meaning of the original (rather than being just semantics), that's one thing. But that aside, if religious scripture is understood to be the literal word of god, then the concept of cherry-picking would seem not to apply.  

+1
0
-1
Uzoozy posted on

Sahih International: Your wives are a place of sowing of seed for you, so come to your place of cultivation however you wish and put forth [righteousness] for yourselves. And fear Allah and know that you will meet Him. And give good tidings to the believers.

This is the correct translation of that verse, one cannot study by cherry picking the verses.

+1
+1
-1

That really doesn't refute what Asma posted at all..."
Your wives are a place of sowing of seed for you, so come to your place of cultivation however you wish." That doesn't make it much better...

+1
-3
-1

This is to explain how different Islam is from other religions, while in Christianity husbands can not bed their wives unless they want to procreate, Islam knowing the nature of human being gave the men the right to bed their women however they wish. It still amaze me how ignorance and hate distort anything..

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

And who are you that you claim to speak for Christianity, arselifter? You are just spouting takiya again. So stop lying, you know nothing about Christianity.

And since when is rape lawful? Ah, yes, only in pislam because pislam is a Satanic death cult where rape, murder, looting, takiya, etc. are lawful.

+1
+5
-1

and when did you learn about Islam? you read few details from here, fabricate a lot from your ignorant brain, and start attacking, my advice is, READ, don't cherry pick but READ and if you can UNDERSTAND, don't attack for the sake of attacking.
You are saying that I'm a man, are you sure?you are saying I'm a muslim, again are you sure?
you know, when the pope is calling for Islamic rules to be practiced, don't you think you should ask your self why is he admitting to the superiority of Islam?
Doesn't christianity say turn your left cheek? are you practicing that?
What does christianity say about drinking, eating pork? are you practicing that as well?
Wasn't I right about the christianity view of procreating?
I know alot about Christianity, and I understand it, do you?
If you are honest with your self you'll realize that it's YOU who are not being christian, not me, you ignorant fool.

+1
-4
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

I don't take advice from arselifters, especially not ignorant and arrogant ones like you.

So go back to your turd world s#ithole, and spout as much takiya as you want. You're not welcome in the free West.

+1
-8
-1

proves my points! Thanks

+1
-3
-1
Uzoozy posted on

First I would like to share with you a few verses from the Bible:
“Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)”
"Do not think that I have come to send peace on earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword. I am sent to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law" (Matthew 10:34-35)

+1
+3
-1

Quran 4:11   A male shall inherit twice as much as a female.

+1
+3
-1
Uzoozy posted on

This is waht the Quran says in 4:11
DO NOT Cherry pick the verses.

Sahih International: Allah instructs you concerning your children: for the male, what is equal to the share of two females. But if there are [only] daughters, two or more, for them is two thirds of one's estate. And if there is only one, for her is half. And for one's parents, to each one of them is a sixth of his estate if he left children. But if he had no children and the parents [alone] inherit from him, then for his mother is one third. And if he had brothers [or sisters], for his mother is a sixth, after any bequest he [may have] made or debt. Your parents or your children – you know not which of them are nearest to you in benefit. [These shares are] an obligation [imposed] by Allah. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.

+1
-2
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Ah, yes, allah's fractions. The ones that don't add up to 1 no matter how hard you arselifters try.

+1
-1
-1
Uzoozy posted on

Now I know you have diminished IQ.
How simple can it be made for you to understand.

+1
-7
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

And yet you can't explain why allah's fractions don't add up to 1. Who has the diminished IQ, arselifter? Seems to be allah! LOL!

+1
0
-1
Uzoozy posted on

Doll on a stick prayer guy.
You are not Muslim so why do you care, you will never ever prove it wrong to me, so save your comments.
200 000 muslims killed by C ... in Bosia

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

What is Bosia, arselifter? And you koranimals can't never prove allah's fractions are nothing more than Mahound's invention. He was a pedophile who couldn't count either.

+1
+4
-1
Uzoozy posted on

Gary,
You are the lost sheep. Beyond redemption.
Hope life will treat you better.
All the best

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Your inability to answer the questions noted.

+1
-4
-1

This fraction thing is stupid. A lot of math in the Bible doesn't add up either. Gary, you should lay off a bit. Still, Uzoozy, don't get started about violence committed by Christians. what they did doesn't follow the book. And don't get me started about violence committed by Muslims against all sorts of people (homosexuals, women, "infidels"...). Don't judge Christianity by what "Christians" do, bro. Grow up. Have some common sense.

+1
+3
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Please cite examples from the Bible where the maths doesn't add up.

+1
-2
-1

qick Q: virgin mary is virgin, yet she is married to joseph? care enough to explain that?

+1
-3
-1
Uzoozy posted on

And I the LORD will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend." - Jeremiah 19:9

"Behold, I the LORD will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it." -- Malachi 2:3

+1
+6
-1

"Allah instructs you concerning your children: for the male, what is equal to the share of two females." How does that make it any better? The context you provided doesn't mitigate from the effect of what Asma said at all...

+1
+5
-1

well, the translation for that is quit simple: as it is the man's job to support his family,not the woman, it is hence that he is entitled to have twice as much as her.

+1
-5
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

So why should the sharmuta get any then? Shouldn't the pig get it all if he has to support his litter?

+1
-2
-1

you know, your vocabulary says alot about you. whats on your mind and whats in your sould. If you thought that women are what you are saying about them and men are also what you're saying about them, I guess I should rest my case instead of debating with a pig, as your self, don't you think?

+1
+3
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

As you've shown you have no brain, it's clear you've never read Genesis 38:15. Otherwise, you'd realise why your sharmutas truly are all sharmutas. And what's that about insulting people, you son of apes and pigs?

+1
-2
-1

as you have read Torah and Quraan?
I told you, think before you talk. 
You are accusing and being irrational, if you have a point, PROVE IT!
as for pigs, apes and sharmutas, you know who you are and what's your family and friends are, don't you?

+1
+8
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

And who are you to give me orders, koranderthal? You sons of apes and pigs should get out of the West before it's too late.

+1
-6
-1

and thats because??????

+1
-1
-1

Why's it man's job to support his family and not the woman's? That's a bit reflective of sexism and inequality, don't you think? Islam believes men should be the breadwinners and women should stay at home, barefoot and pregnant. Admit it, 123.

+1
+4
-1

It is a man job's to support his family, and if the woman CHOSE to work, then the money that she earns is hers to spend as she wishes, with no man to tell her how to use it or even entitled to it. Now ask any woman in the world if she didn't dream of that?

+1
+2
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

LOL! Your takiya is hilarious!

+1
-1
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

It's because Mahound hated his first wife for being the breadwinner.

+1
-1
-1

Quran 4:24   [Forbidden to you are] married women, except those whom you own as slaves.

+1
0
-1

There are slaves in the Bible, too. This is a moot point.

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Yes, they are in the Bible but not in real life. Only arselifters still keep abeed.

+1
-2
-1

Good point, Gary. You're right. 

+1
+3
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Also, the ones in the Bible were really bondspeople. They worked for a master until the bond was repaid. The koranimals had abeed for life and the abeed were usually castrated if males and treated as sex slaves if females.

+1
0
-1

and you know that Gary because you witnessed that? 

+1
-4
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Because there are still slaves in Sudan and elsewhere.

+1
-4
-1

and there aren't in any christian society?

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

I'm sure you'll try and fabricate some just to prove your takiya, you son of apes and pigs.

Oh, wait, there was one in Colarado. An Indo slaphead bint was kept a slave by a family of Soddy Barbarians! LOL

You fail again, you silly little korangutan.

+1
-5
-1

and you aren't fabricating? 

+1
+1
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

al takiya is the domain of you koranimals.

+1
+2
-1

see, picking up one point and clinging to it!
your point s exhausted as your brain, I'll have mercy on your exhausted brain cells, you know not being used to think, and wont answer you any more, Peace!

+1
-3
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

LOL! Like you arselifters ever think. You are told what to do by the koranus. Which foot to use when entering a toilet, what to prey, and what foot to use when leaving.

It must really suck to be an arselifter and do that all day long. LOL

+1
+2
-1

Hadith of Bukhari v.1:2:29: 
The Prophet said: "I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of
its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked, "Do they
disbelieve in Allah?" (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied,
"They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the
favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have
always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees
something in you (not of her liking), she will say, 'I have never
received any good from you."

+1
0
-1
Mullah Lodabullah posted on

It can be generalized that Muslims reject the Biblical God's plan of salvation and eternal life through Jesus Christ, since they generally accept Allah's lies concerning Jesus Christ. Sura 4:157 denies the crucifixion of Jesus, while Sura 4:171 denies the deity of Jesus Christ, blasphemously claiming that He is an apostle of "Allah". Jesus warned that false christs and false prophets would arise and deceive many (Matthew 24:24), and that is precisely what the false prophet Mohammed has done, condemning more than one billion souls in the process. Nothing to do with hate, bigotry, islamophobia (or islamophilia); simply the fulfilment of Biblical prophecy by a very nasty false prophet indeed.

"For there will rise up false Christs and false prophets, displaying
wonderful signs and prodigies, so as to deceive, were it possible, even
God's own People." Jesus Christ - Matthew 24:24

+1
-5
-1
Diogenesusa posted on

Of course the previous comments are in opposition to the teachings of Islam. I do however, see an opportunity for thinking people to pose serious theological questions to those Muslims that host such events. 

Islamic teachers will contend that the Jewish Torah and the the Christian New Testament both have been corrupted, and that is the reason that the contents of both are incorrect as they exist today. Further, that
due to this corruption it was necessary to impart the final revelation of Allah's word to Muhammad, and that the contents of the Qur'an has been guarded against corruption since Muhammad's time.

The obvious question would be that if one contends that Allah of the Qur'an and the God of the Bible are one in the same, which the Muslims maintain, then how has the power of God/Allah changed? If God was not able to protect the integrity of his revealed word before Muhammad, then how has Allah changed? Has his powers now increased?

Perhaps the greatest theological aberation concerns the creation of the Jinn, male and female. Many of the issues concerning the Jinn serve as a polemic among the Muslim jurists. 

Was Iblis an angel who rebelled, or is he considered a demon?

The Qur'an mentions Jinn that became Muslims. What are the rewards in Paradise for the righteous Muslim Jinn male or female? Must they fulfill the five pillars of Islam?

What are the rewards in Paradise for the righteous Muslim woman?

The Qur'an presents the theology that Muslims are able to earn their rewards in Paradise, which gives rise to the question; how many credits are enough?

Christianity teaches that it is by God's grace that we are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; It's God's gift, NOT FROM WORKS SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST.For we are His creation created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time, that we should walk in them.
(Ephesians 2:8-10)

This makes more sense to me. This is what we need to share with Muslims as often as we are able.

+1
+1
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

One huge problem for the arselifters is that the koranus is corrupted. The Sana'a koranuses prove that. The Bible, on the other hand, is still consistent with the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It is up to the arselifters to prove that the Bible is corrupted but they cannot. It's also up to them to prove that the koranus isn't corrupted but they cannot.

Djins, of course, are a pagan invention that Mahound co-opted. They only exist in the minds of silly arselifters.

Jesus also warned about making a public showing of one's faith. Arselifters, on the other hand, will publicly prey in the gutter to allah.

+1
+2
-1

ahah, pray tell me, how many versions does the bible have? Qura'an has only ONE version, ignorant fool!

+1
-3
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

There is only one version of the Bible. As I said before, the Sana'a koranuses prove that the koranus has been corrupted.

+1
-2
-1

care to clarify that?

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

CAIR will give you a suicide vest. But go to Mucka to blow yourself up, we don't want your filthy najis blood in the West.

+1
-4
-1

What is interesting is that throughout the Koran it talks about equality and also treating women right, infact The Moslem's Prophet himself was somewhat of a feminist within the Context of his time. In prehistoric Arabia, women were essentially treated as property and cattle, under the prophet he came and reformed it much given that time and allowed them to own land have rights(keep in mind how late it took for women to be able to own land even in the states or in the UK).  Also worth noting, the Moslem's Prophet married an older woman who made a lot of money and was a successful business woman and he worked under her and only stayed married to her until she passed.  So infact are his own actions contradicting the words in the Koran, and what about the other phrases in the Koran that not only talk about women's rights and respect, but also refer to Christian and Jews as Brothers and people of the book. It also goes on to say that there are many paths and salvations to heaven.  Perhaps with all of these differences, it only shows that it must be read and applied within the context, similar to the Old testament. 

You can find misleading versus of violence in the bible that will call to kill any nonbeliever even.  Yet just as the Koran, the general message of the Bible  is of your self search to righteousness and becoming closer to god. The religions are not so much the problem as the people. And you will find that depending on the socio-economic and political climate, it seems there interpretations conveniently change or atleast focus and place emphasis on different matters that works for their situation.  You'll see this with all religions to justify their actions and they really must ask within the whole book which generally talks about honor and righteousness, is that really what you must be doing . 

Some believe that Muslims are taught and inherently against americans and freedom. Yet, you can go back and search pictures of Regan and the Muhajadeen, whom he invited to washington/white house, and said they had the character of the 'founding fathers'. Ofcourse this was a time when they were funding those guys to fight the USSR. But this goes back to the point, if these people just hate our way of life and our to get us under any circumstance, how did they work together, come into the white house, enjoy the company of the president and that time where was their call to destory? Maybe because its all political rather than some holy mandate. More often than not, the translations and religious voice mislead this other wise.  Its like when we daily say oh my god or aomng such things fairly casually, when that is translated it may seem like we meant it in some religious voice yet we use it daily almost reflexively without it being religiously motivated.  

I've met many Muslims born here in the states who really felt that those extremists were their enemies as muslims and as americans. Yet it seems the line is drawn behind them and they are enemies to many in their own homeland when it is often all that the know.  All in all, its an unfortunate situation for everyone and the death of just one person due to all of this is a horrible tragedy for everyone as are the juvenile conversations above of people unwilling to accept others differences.   

+1
+4
-1

Well put! Thanks for commenting.

+1
-4
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Do you often reply to yourself to bolster your specious claims?

+1
+6
-1

Give us some quotes from the Koran to substantiate your argument, bro. Also, how do you ignore Mohammed's polygamy, and the fact that he "married" a 9 year old girl, Aisha? Let's see some answers.

+1
-5
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Actually, Aisha was 6 years old when Mahound married her without her consent. Which explains why her hair all fell out and she got sick when she was told she was to marry the old pig. She was 9 when Mahound first forced himself on her (note that these are lunar years so she was actually 8 years and 9 months or so).

+1
-2
-1

"
In prehistoric Arabia, women were essentially treated as property and cattle." Things haven't changed much, have they...

+1
0
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Yep, they are always the possession of some man - either their father, their husband or their brothers.

+1
+8
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

Your takiya is most amusing. Mahound took away the rights of shrmutas. What Mahound did to Um Kirfa and her tribe is more than ample evidence of that.

Women in the West had far more rights long before then. Its well documented how well off women were in Greek and Roman times.

+1
0
-1

Takiya is Shia's principle, not Sunna, cite your sources you ignorant fool! 

+1
+4
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

takiya is the domain of all arselifters. See below for the video of the story of Um Kirfa. Your takiya fails again.

+1
-3
-1

No, your brain fails you again of realizing that there are different sides for any story, let alone one that harm any muslim society, or I guess it is programmed that way, being a pig, ignorant and a fool. 

+1
-4
-1
Gary Rumain posted on

And you have no brain, you son of apes and pigs. Mahound was a mass murdering pedophile.

+1
+2
-1

As far as women's rights, yes at the time women were treated like cattle and there were even instances of infanticide girls children being burried alive during times of scarcity, unfortunately during pagan times in arabia there are some disturbing events.  Mohammed worked to bring an end to infanticide and progress women's rights as well. Are there still issues there, very much so. Yet you will find that they are culturally rooted and  ou must be able to seperate the diferences between cultural and religious beliefs that often gets intermixed. You will in the wahabi influence on islam is much different than if you meet muslims who may still be devout but grew up in america, france, or china(yes they are spread throughout and not all the same as it is very pluralistic). just as is christianity and judaism and other individuals. As far as burquas, you only need to go as far as brooklyn to see jewish communities where the women cover themselves as well.  And while I have spoken with many devout muslims who don't believe in the burqua(you ahve to understand there are MANY translations of the quran given that it was originally passed down orally, and arabic as a language is scattered, you will understand this) and they don't wear it and then I found some who love to wear theres and it says people look them in the eyes and see them as an individual, as a voice, rather than always worrying about a materialistic image. When i sadi many see it ias a form of oppression,i was responded with that being a form of western values imposing their own perspective as they can argue that a society where a woman usually won't feel comfortable or beautiful unless she has make up, lipstick, eye liner, blush, and in growing cases plastic surgery and botox which they say is just a western version of a covering of your natural face and maye a hidden oppression that they feel mentally they need to later themselves in that matter to feel beautiful.  Fact is, you will find arguments on both sides, but some of the oppression there is not justified throughout any religions and its just not representative of 'islam', but of that particular place in a religious voice perhaps.  

In the end of the day, extremism is bad to anyone, those groups abroad kill more muslims than anyone everyday and its not justified by the general teachings of the religion and that is where you can see it fluctuate depending on the political agenda of those said groups.  As I mentioned before, its often not the religion, but the particular people that are the root of the evil and if they were a different religion, they woudl find ways, like the quotes below, to justify their deeds.  Its rather unfortunate, but in the end of the day As americans we should be unifying with the majority rather than generalizing and segregating an entire group which only creates more animosity and ignorance on both sides.

to the folks throwing out quotes, anyone can play this game, here are some quotes from the bible and some real winners on women's rights and also some killing nonbelievers.  And the point of this is not to say Christianity or Muslim oppresses women, if you want to find a way, many cultures and religions were just unfortunately backward at that time, when these books were written so you will see hints of such in Both places.:
The LORD is a man of war. Exodus 15:3

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB) 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbirth. In pain you will bring forth children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." 
Genesis 7 "If a man sells his daughter to be a female servant, she shall not go out as the male servants do. 
8 If she doesn't please her master, who has married her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, seeing he has dealt deceitfully with her. 
9 If he marries her to his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. 
10 If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marital rights. 
11 If he doesn't do these three things for her, she may go free without paying any money. 
Exodus 11 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draws near to deliver her husband out of the hand of him who strikes him, and puts forth her hand, and takes him by the secrets; 
12 then you shall cut off her hand, your eye shall have no pity. 
Deuteronomy from the New testamnet:But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Christ is God. 
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 
5 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonors her head. For it is one and the same thing as if she were shaved. 1Corinthians 4 let your wives keep silent in the assemblies, for it has not been permitted for them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as the law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home, for it is shameful for a woman to chatter in the assembly. 1 Corinthians 

+1
+1
-1

to add on here are some of the hadiths that were referred to me on the prophet's views of women.  You msut remember that the above, both the bible verses and quran verses etc, must be taken in the context of their time iwth the istuation adn views then, that is why they do not represent a particular view or hold as much weight because the general gist of almost all the religions is to find inner peace and come closer to god and try to live righteous lives, that is what you will find throughout and most of the teachings, not about war and oppression, but perhaps people who want that will try to find these phrases useful and that is just unfortunate. And those with anger or hatred will focus on these very quotes to describe the other group ,and it is those people pointing fingers and those who have such hating beliefs to guide their lives who might hate eachother but sadly share the exact same point of view.  I'd bet that Pamela Gellar and Osama bin laden can pretty much agree that Islam has not place in the west or coexiting with the west, that the two are not meant to live and it has to be one or the other. They may hate eachother, btu their views are both extremes and actually compliment that they can't coexist.  
  Take for example slavery here in America that is not so ancient as these religions. This was a society which could be considered plenty religious and conservative. The bible does not promote it, yet for some reason these people felt entitled that htey were superior and meant to be in charge of people just because of the pigmentation of their skin.  Devout christians, priest, netire societies accpeted this as normal for some time, is it reflective of christianity or america? I would say no, but culturally it is what developed and it is quite unfortunate.  

It is said in a hadith that :
 As the father of four daughters in a society that prized sons, he told other fathers that, if their daughters spoke well of them on the Day of Judgment, they would enter paradise."The most valuable thing in the world is a virtuous woman."
- Prophet Muhammad The Prophet said, "Paradise lies beneath the feet of mothers""The best among you is the one who is best toward his wife" 
- Prophet Muhammad I find that the ones who claim to be so knowledgeable and righteous in their own views on both sides really spend more time pointing fingers, bringing others down, screaming about how this person is right rather than pursuing what their own teachings baout finding peace and living righteously 

At those times, Moses who was a center of the 3 major monotheistic religions had how many wives? The revered mother of Jesus, married before she was 10 years old.  The point is as I said, if you want to be negative, you can take out the context and compare those times of any of the religion/belief systems and criticize while translating them to our times when they are not comparable.
Here is a good quote on muhammad's marriages at that time:
By then, Muhammad was working to establish a new community. In that context, over the next 10 years, he married several women. In some cases, these marriages occurred in order to cement political ties, according to the custom of the day. In some cases, the marriage provided physical and economic shelter to the widows of Muslims who had died or who had been killed in battle, and to the wife of a fallen foe. Of all his marriages, only one appears to have been controversial, and it was to the divorced wife of his adopted son.Only one of his wives had not been previously married. Her name was Aisha, the daughter of one of his closest companions. Aisha was betrothed to Muhammad while still a girl, but she remained in her parents' home for several years until she reached puberty. Years later, when absent from Medina, Muhammad often recommended that, if religious questions arose, people should take them to his wife Aisha. After Muhammad's death, Aisha became a main source of information about Muhammad, and on medicine and poetry as well.

I am not a Muslim, a christian, nor a Jew, but I have spent time in a mosque, temple,a church, and with buddhist monks, etc I am a student and curious about all the world and while they all have flaws that I could nitpick and find negativity and flaws in, I chose to appreciate and find beauty in it all, I find the existence for myself and those dealing with me to be much more peaceful and enriching this way.  I leave you with a few special quotes:

First from the Muslim Imam Rauf at the memorial for Daniel Pearl:
We are here to assert the Islamic conviction of the moral equivalency of our Abrahamic faiths. If to be a Jew means to say with all one's heart, mind and soul Shma` Yisrael, Adonai Elohenu Adonai Ahad; hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One, not only today I am a Jew, I have always been one, Mr. Pearl.If to be a Christian is to love the Lord our God with all of my heart, mind and soul, and to love for my fellow human being what I love for myself, then not only am I a Christian, but I have always been one Mr. Pearl.And I am here to inform you, with the full authority of the Quranic texts and the practice of the Prophet Muhammad, that to say La ilaha illallah Muhammadun rasulullah is no different.It expresses the same theological and ethical principles and values

And lastly from the quran.
Be they Muslims, Jews, Christians, or Sabaeans,Those who believe in God and the Last DayAnd who do wellHave their reward with their Lord.They have nothing to fear,And they will not sorrow. (Qur'an: 2:62 and 5:69)

+1
0
-1