Sports | Women's Basketball

Bears avenge loss by beating Bulldogs in women's Ivy basketball

Only one lone conference game was held this weekend outside of Morningside Heights in the Ivy League—an exciting nail-biter between Brown and Yale. This was the second time this season the two teams had faced off.

The other teams in the Ancient Eight which played suffered tough losses to nonconference competition. Meanwhile, the Princeton Tigers did not play this past weekend, as the team is currently focusing on studying for final exams.

Brown 60, Yale 55
The Bears (10-6, 1-1 Ivy) managed to avenge their loss last week by winning at Yale (7-9, 1-1 Ivy) for the first time in three years. Yale junior Megan Vasquez scored 14 points for the Bulldogs and fueled Yale’s early 10-4 lead, before Brown responded by going on a 9-0 run. The game continued to be evenly matched as Brown and Yale traded baskets, with the Bears taking a 26-24 lead into halftime.

Sophomore Lauren Clarke led the Bears with 15 points and made the difference late in the second half. Yale led 45-44 with four minutes left before Clarke and the Bears began to pull away. The Bears went on a 10-5 run and forced Yale to foul with a minute left. Clarke then stepped up and made four key free throws to ensure a critical first Ivy win for the Bears.

On Friday, the Bulldogs will face a critical matchup when they travel to play Harvard. Brown will also look to improve its conference ranking when it travels north to play a hapless Dartmouth squad.

North Dakota 60, Harvard 57
Harvard’s (7-8, 1-0 Ivy) valiant comeback against North Dakota (9-9) fell three points short on Tuesday. North Dakota dominated the first half as it raced off to a 12-6 lead behind the play of junior Nicole Smart, who had 12 points. Harvard recovered to pull within three points before North Dakota went on another run to end the half leading 31-23.

After the intermission, North Dakota started where it had left off, as it jumped out to a 36-24 lead. Harvard made another comeback to pull within four, before the Fighting Sioux had a run of their own that pushed its lead to 11.

With two minutes left and North Dakota leading by seven, it looked like the game was over. Junior Victoria Lippert, who led the Crimson with 15 points, got Harvard back in the game as her three-pointer cut North Dakota’s lead to four.

After a missed Fighting Sioux foul shot, Lippert had a chance to tie the game at the buzzer, but unfortunately could not get her shot up in time for the Crimson.

Harvard will host conference rival Yale on Friday.

Penn 47, Temple 72
Temple managed to pull away in the second half to beat Penn (7-8, 0-1 Ivy) 72-47. Freshman Jackie Kates led the Quakers with 17 points, while sophomore Kristen Kody added 12 points.

The first eight minutes of the game were even as Temple and Penn traded buckets, with the game tied 11-11. Then Temple went on a 10-0 run, fueled by its suffocating press defense. The Quakers were able to find their way back into the game, thanks to Kates and Kody. However, Temple went on a run at the end of the half to lead by eight points going into intermission.

Temple continued the momentum from its first-half performance into the second half and built a 17-point lead behind senior Joelle Connelly and junior Victoria Macaulay’s outstanding play. Penn was never able to regain the momentum it had before the first half.

The Quakers will next host Columbia on Friday in the Palestra at 7 p.m.

Longwood 86, Dartmouth 76
Dartmouth (2-13, 0-1 Ivy) lost its 12th consecutive game, falling to Longwood (5-18). Dartmouth was led by junior guard Faziah Steen, who led all scorers with 29 points.

The game was evenly matched in the beginning of the first half, before Dartmouth’s reliance on Steen for points was exposed. Longwood went on a run to take a 24-13 lead as Steen struggled to make shots. Although Steen managed to cut the Lancer lead to five with six minutes left, Longwood managed to go on another run to take a 41-30 lead going into halftime.

Longwood continued to control the game in the second half and looked to be in danger of running away with the game at several moments. With the Big Green trailing by 12 points with one minute left in the game, Steen and freshman guard Milica Toskovic both hit threes to pull Dartmouth within six. However, Longwood made seven of eight free throws to ensure the win against the Big Green.

Dartmouth struggled with turnovers—it had 25 in the game, which led to 27 points for the Lancers.

The Big Green will try and snap its losing streak when it hosts Brown this upcoming weekend.