Occupy Wall Street class not yet official

If you've been on the Internet the last few days, you've probably heard that Columbia's Anthropology Department is offering a class on Occupy Wall Street next semester, to the disdain of certain news organizations.

But not so fast--according to Columbia spokesperson Brian Connolly, the course has not actually been approved the Committee on Instruction yet. Connolly told Spectator via email that the course--which is officially called "Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement" and would be taught by anthropology professor Hannah Appel--has not been considered for approval yet, and that "some departmental postings regarding the spring semester were premature."

The description of the course, which was online just yesterday, has been removed from the Columbia College bulletin. See Connolly's full email explanation after the jump:

Email from Columbia spokesperson Brian Connolly:

“While the University was closed during the holidays, a few news outlets reported that Columbia would be offering a new undergraduate course regarding Occupy Wall Street. The study of contemporary political, economic and social issues is entirely appropriate and has a long history here. But the fact is that the proposal for a new anthropology course involving fieldwork on this topic had yet to be considered for approval by the faculty Committee on Instruction. A course does not appear in the official directory of classes and cannot be offered in advance of required approvals. News reports and some departmental postings regarding the spring semester were premature.”

Check back for a full story from the News desk tomorrow.

Anon posted on

It is amazing how news organizations get information about Columbia way before Spec and Bwog do. This has been in the news for over a week.

+1
0
-1
What the hell are you talking about? posted on

bwog and spec were the first ones to report the course was canceled.

+1
0
-1

No, just Bwog on this one.

+1
0
-1