Occupy Wall Street class not yet official

If you've been on the Internet the last few days, you've probably heard that Columbia's Anthropology Department is offering a class on Occupy Wall Street next semester, to the disdain of certain news organizations.

But not so fast--according to Columbia spokesperson Brian Connolly, the course has not actually been approved the Committee on Instruction yet. Connolly told Spectator via email that the course--which is officially called "Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement" and would be taught by anthropology professor Hannah Appel--has not been considered for approval yet, and that "some departmental postings regarding the spring semester were premature."

The description of the course, which was online just yesterday, has been removed from the Columbia College bulletin. See Connolly's full email explanation after the jump:

Email from Columbia spokesperson Brian Connolly:

“While the University was closed during the holidays, a few news outlets reported that Columbia would be offering a new undergraduate course regarding Occupy Wall Street. The study of contemporary political, economic and social issues is entirely appropriate and has a long history here. But the fact is that the proposal for a new anthropology course involving fieldwork on this topic had yet to be considered for approval by the faculty Committee on Instruction. A course does not appear in the official directory of classes and cannot be offered in advance of required approvals. News reports and some departmental postings regarding the spring semester were premature.”

Check back for a full story from the News desk tomorrow.

Anon posted on

It is amazing how news organizations get information about Columbia way before Spec and Bwog do. This has been in the news for over a week.

+1
0
-1
What the hell are you talking about? posted on

bwog and spec were the first ones to report the course was canceled.

+1
0
-1

No, just Bwog on this one.

+1
0
-1
seo posted on

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword....wait there's even more Now what if i told you there was a simple Wordpress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That's right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin
seo http://www.SeoOptimizationTipz.com/

+1
0
-1