Sports

Harvard on top, Columbia on the bottom: A roundup of a finished Ivy football season

The final Saturday of the Ivy League football season was marked by one of the greatest games in recent league history. It took place right here at Baker Field, where the Lions won 35-28 in double overtime.

From the champion Crimson's triumphant season to the Lions' wild 1-9 showing to everything in between, a lot happened for every Ivy team this year, so here are a few thoughts on each school after the jump, in order of the final standings.

1. Harvard (9-1, 7-0 Ivy)

• You may never see a more dominating performance in the Ivy League than the one that the Crimson put forth this year. Over the course of the season, Harvard easily scored the most points and allowed the least. The Crimson finished three games ahead of the second-place teams, which is virtually unheard of with just a seven-game Ivy schedule.
  • It is even more impressive for a team to be as consistent in this league as Harvard was. After its week one loss, the Crimson dominated each of its final nine games by double-digit margins.
  • The season ended with a statement—a thrashing of the Bulldogs at “The Game.” The only blemish was getting blown out in the battle of the videos.

2.Brown (7-3, 4-3)

• The Bears hoped to be in the Ivy title race, but much of their success was marred by two excruciating losses at the close of the season in which they coughed up fourth-quarter leads against Dartmouth and Columbia.
  • Brown especially thrived on defense, including its weather-aided shutout of Penn, which ended the Quaker’s 18-game Ivy win streak.
  • Brown’s recent string of winning seasons is impressive for a school that has never particularly been a football powerhouse.

3. Penn (5-5, 4-3)

• The defending champions extended their winning streak to 18 games before losing three out of their final four games.
  • The Quakers may have had the biggest drop off of an Ivy team this season—falling to the middle of the pack in many offensive and defensive categories.

4. Yale (5-5, 4-3)

• Quarterback Patrick Witt probably should have just gone to his Rhodes Scholarship interview rather than getting embarrassed by the rival Crimson.
  • Yale did what you would expect a mediocre team to do: they defeated the lower-echelon teams, while struggling against the top teams. In the three losses to Harvard, Brown, and Penn, the Bulldogs allowed over 38 points per game.

5. Dartmouth (5-5, 4-3)

• The Big Green followed a similar pattern to Yale, except its signature win came in Providence to end Brown’s hopes of an Ivy title.
  • Running back Nick Schwieger was a machine—he led the league (by a wide margin) with 131 rushing yards a game! The senior left several marks on the Dartmouth record books. By comparison, Columbia’s entire team rushed for just slightly more than half of Schwieger’s total this season.
  • However, Dartmouth’s true highlight of the season occurred off the playing field.

6. Cornell (5-5, 3-4)

• Offense! Jeff Matthews passed for 341.2 yards a game—over 100 yards more than the next highest passer (Witt). He established an Ivy record for passing yards in a season with 3,412 yards. In his final two games against Columbia and Penn, Matthews went 75-91 for 1,069 yards—breaking the single game record for passing yards with 548 against the Quakers—as his team scored a combined 110 points. Those numbers are almost laughable.
  • In 9 of its 10 games, Cornell scored at least 24 points. Having gone 2-8 in 2010, this is a team that is definitely on the rise—especially since Matthews is only a sophomore.

7. Princeton (1-9, 1-6)

• I place the TIgers ahead of Columbia based on their sole victory being over the Lions. (Addtionally, 1-10 Fordham’s lone win this year was its Liberty Cup victory over Columbia. The Rams also fired their head coach, Tom Massella.)
  • Princeton had the league’s worst offense, but it did show the ability to score in efforts such as putting up 39 points at Harvard.

8. Columbia (1-9, 1-6)

• The Lions may have had some ugly road losses this year, but they turned their four home games—which were widely regarded as their four most difficult games—into classics. There will always be memories from the homecoming thriller against streaking Penn, the Snow Bowl with Yale, the valiant effort against the Golden Pants, and this Saturday’s stunning victory over Brown.
  • There were reasons that head coach Norries Wilson had to be let gomainly the fact Columbia was outscored 117-20 in the third quarter, which reveals a lack of effective halftime adjustments.
  • In the final half and two overtimes of the season’s final game, quarterback Sean Brackett played like the star he was last year and more. If he can maintain such a stellar level of play for an entire season, then there is indeed reason to look forward to the 2012 season, less than ten months away.

Is it just me? posted on

the title of this post is so dirty.

+1
0
-1
How painful! posted on

Columbia below Princeton! That hurts! Anyway, the scores don't really reflect the effort of the team, which even defeated, behaved like true lions.

+1
0
-1
cc senior posted on

Nobody cares

+1
0
-1
CC'13 posted on

CC senior, you are wrong.

+1
0
-1
Lion Fan posted on

I Care

+1
0
-1
vodnjwdch posted on

锘縉BA Draft order 2014 news has the LA Lakers moving up and the Phoenix Suns flush with picks. The 2014 NBA Draft order will shift when the lottery takes place in the postseason, but it is starting to take shape for fans to pine about what prospects might come in the offseason. The Lakers lost again on Sunday night (Feb.

"I was talking to him a couple of days before and he really didn't know what was going on, so that's when I started getting nervous for him," said sophomore guard Rapheal Davis, who also played with Simpson at La Lumiere School in LaPorte. "I didn't express it to him, but in my head I started getting worried about it. I could see the look on his face of Christian Louboutin Shoes uncertainty..

Children with Asperger's may be advanced readers and can develop vocabularies far ahead of their learning curve. How this may be an indicator is their lack of infusing this vocabulary into smooth rhythmic conversation with those around them. The words in their vocabulary are often verbose and taken literally.

Louisville is a basketball city in a basketball state, and it appears the general public agrees. In a recent poll conducted via Twitter, roughly 200 people responded to the question, "Which city should be at top of list for NBA team relocation?," and an overwhelming 90% chose Louisville over Seattle, Virginia Beach and other competing cities. Further, the notion that the regional audience is not large enough or socioeconomically capable to support both a college and professional basketball team is unfounded.

It runs Linux but supports other operating systems like Android OS. The 1W TDP of Quark makes it very attractive for use in making dumb things smart and web connected. Edison doesn't need to come in 2 GHz clock speed to be an efficient embedded computer..

By FOX NEWS Guzman, 56, was found with an unidentified woman. Drug Enforcement Administration and the Marshals Service were "heavily involved" in the capture, the official said. No shots were fired. Criminal defense attorney James Reiss, who worked for Metro for 15 years as a contract lawyer defending the MTA in high profile cases, Christian Louboutin Outlet was charged with 11 felony counts of grand theft, forgery and fraud.The attorney is charged with creating fraudulent documents designed to get Metro to cut him a check directly, rather than to a plaintiff who was awarded a multi million dollar judgment."Anyone Christian Louboutin Shoes looking at the documents from the County would know (they) were bogus," said Jeffrey Pop, the attorney for the plaintiff. "The most elementary internal controls would have kept the County from losing money."Investigative producer Heidi Cuda and reporters Gina Silva and Phil Shuman have this FOX 11 investigation.Every day, 22 veterans commit suicide. But the Department Of Veteran's Affairs believes that number could be Christian Louboutin Outlet even higher.

+1
0
-1