Sports | Football

Harvard clinches, Brown upset

The Crimson clinched its 14th conference championship thanks to a win at home over Penn and a Brown loss to Dartmouth. The running games of Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth all shined, while Yale overcame Princeton’s rushing attack with an outstanding passing performance.

Harvard 37, Penn 20

The Crimson (8-1, 6-0 Ivy) clinched the Ivy League title with a big win over the Quakers (5-4, 4-2 Ivy). Harvard dominated the play on the ground, rushing for 204 yards and only allowing Penn 24 rushing yards. Crimson freshman running back Zach Boden ran for 86 yards and a score, while junior running back Treavor Scales ran for 70 yards and a touchdown.
Penn struck first with less than a minute remaining in the first quarter with a 21-yard pass from junior quarterback Billy Ragone to senior wide receiver Ryan Calvert, who made 11 catches for 114 yards in the loss. Harvard took control of the game in the middle two quarters, outscoring Penn 24-0. Both teams scored two touchdowns and each missed extra points—Penn, going for two points—in the fourth. The game featured nine punts from Penn and eight punts from Harvard.

The Ivy title marks the sixth for Harvard under head coach Tim Murphy, who first took over in 1994. This game also made Penn history, as Ragone became the first Penn player to run for over 1,000 yards and throw for over 2,000 yards.

The Quakers, trying to clinch a share of second in the Ivy standings, finish their season on Saturday against Cornell, while the Crimson will formally conclude its championship run the same day at Yale.

Yale 33, Princeton 24

The Elis (5-4, 4-2 Ivy) beat host Princeton (1-8, 1-5 Ivy) in a battle of Bulldog passing versus Tiger rushing.

Senior standout Patrick Witt became Yale’s all-time leader in passing yards with 379 yards. The quarterback also threw for three scores. Senior tailback Alex Thomas added a 62-yard touchdown run in the middle of the third quarter, as Yale had 500 total yards compared to 326 for Princeton.

Princeton freshman running back sensation Chuck Dibilio ran for 178 yards and three scores himself on 31 carries. Dibilio became the first Ivy freshman to rush for 1,000 yards and will look to win the conference rushing title. He is currently 17 yards behind Dartmouth’s Nick Schwieger.

The Bulldogs finish their schedule at home against Harvard, with a win securing a tie for second in the conference, while the Tigers travel to Hanover to face Dartmouth to avoid the possibility of finishing tied for last.

Dartmouth 21, Brown 16

The Big Green (4-5, 3-3 Ivy) upset host Brown (7-2, 4-2 Ivy) in the latter’s bid to stay in contention for the Ivy title. Dartmouth possessed the ball for over two-thirds of the final half, outscoring Brown 14-9 in the process. Dartmouth senior running back and Ivy rushing leader Schwieger had 137 yards on a career-high 37 carries, including the game-winning touchdown, to bring his rushing total to a conference-leading 766 yards.

The Dartmouth win came in spite of a strong performance from Brown in the first half. The Bears tallied more than twice as many yards as the Big Green, 224-111, but entered halftime tied at seven due to a 32-yard touchdown pass from Dartmouth senior quarterback Conner Kempe seconds before the half. Bears senior quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero completed 22 of 33 passes for 252 yards and a touchdown in the loss.

The Big Green has a slim chance to tie for second with a win in its finale, hosting Princeton, and the Bears come to New York to face winless Columbia to clinch, at least, a tie for second.