Sports

Honestly, what did you expect? Three quick thoughts on Harvard beating the Lions

So let's be real for a second—did you really think the winless Lions would beat the undefeated in Ivy play Crimson? If you're not a football player, the answer is probably not. And that's okay, cause I'm right there with you. Turns out we were right as Harvard beat the Lions 35-21, in a game that was a lot closer in the first half than the second. The loss brings this years Lions one step closer to infamy with an 0-10 season, as they're now 0-8 and have lost their last nine games dating back to last year. Simply put, this entire situation stinks. But let's just dig right in, three quick thoughts follow after the jump.

1. Fast start, slow finish

Starting out with the ball for the first time all year seemed to be a blessing, as the Lions drove right down the field and took a 7-0 lead—a beautiful start against a team that's creamed Ivy opponents all season. After Harvard tied the game at seven, Ross Morand returned an interception 87 yards for a touchdown—good for a 14-7 lead. Yes, Harvard then tied it up at 14 but the point still stands that the Lions came out ready to battle. But...then the wheels came off in the third quarter and I started having flashbacks to Cavs teams of yesteryear when LeBron wouldn't play well in the third quarter instead of the fourth. So I guess Harvard made halftime adjustments on defense that the Lions couldn't counter on offense, and that was probably the biggest difference in this game.

2. Harvard is really good

You look at the box score and you can tell just how good this team is. They were efficient and effective early and often against the Lions, and that was another big difference. Their quarterback, Collier Winters, threw for 323 yards, three touchdowns and an interception, completing 66 percent of his passes in the process. When the losing team leads the time of possession by nearly five minutes yet still loses by 14 points, it means the players and coaches are both working to their full potential. And with as good as Harvard has been this season, it's no surprise that the Lions just couldn't compete in the second half.

3. Just keep plugging away...

Honestly, there's nothing else for the Lions to do. It's obviously been a disappointing season, and it's probably getting pretty tough to not only play the games but go out to practice every day. But the thing is, football is supposed to be fun. And while there is nothing "fun" about an 0-8 record, college football should be played for the love of the game, and not because it feels like it's a job. So here's hoping the Lions will put things together, have a little fun in practice and then have a lot of fun next week up north in Cornell.

Aicha posted on

i managed to find this album(which doesn't even have its own wpkiiedia arcticle),in the vinyl section of Tower Records along with Drive Like Jehu's self titled.It was really exciting because i thought the only way to find music like that in Ireland was online.Now i know they acctually have all the good music on Vinyl when it comes to Music stores,i will buy myself a turntable,return to Tower Records and buy those two Records.because everything sounds better on Vinyl!

+1
0
-1
rg pelletreau posted on

Is there any truth to the rumor that Norries is about to call a press conference to announce his resignation?

+1
0
-1
Anon posted on

You're a jerk.

+1
0
-1
HAHA posted on

hahahah ohhhhh football team. useless off AND on the field.

+1
0
-1