Arts and Entertainment | Style

Chic consignment chain thrives in UWS

Defined by the mantra of “resale goes upscale,” Second Time Around (2624 Broadway, between 99th and 100th streets) proves unlike any other secondhand apparel store in the city, and its newly opened branch on the Upper West Side gives the Columbia community a unique chance to consign and explore an ever-changing designer inventory.

As the fifth branch in Manhattan, the Upper West Side location opened at the end of September, and customers are already flitting in and out of its doors. Numerous elements set Second Time Around apart from the average vintage store. The primary difference is that the people who sell their clothing, shoes, and jewelry to the shop will maintain ownership of the items until they are sold. Second Time Around provides that window for customers to view and purchase many designer brands (Gucci, Hermès, Chanel, Cynthia Rowley, and Calvin Klein were among those spotted) on sale.

Moreover, the secondhand store strictly adheres to a highly selective standard—the clothes they consign must be at most two-years-old, and only gently worn. The UWS location’s assistant manager, who gave her name as Elise, said, “[An item] doesn’t have to be from the ’70s.”

Instead, the Second Time Around stores “prefer that it’s modern, so somebody that’s very into fashion, in love with what came out this season, can go to the store and find something from the runway,” she said.

Like other stores near campus, Second Time Around offers students $20 store credits for referring their friends to consign.

The assistant manager emphasized the concept behind Second Time Around as an environmentally aware effort. “It’s a great [way] to be environmental because you’re cleaning out your closet and you’re bringing other stuff in, so it’s a constant cycle of clothing,” she said.

And this cycle does not seem to run dry. For a shop that has only been open for a month, the racks are filled to the brim with selections. The apparel is classified by type of clothing (skirts, dresses, blazers, etc.). Shoes, ranging from leopard-print loafers to vibrant red flats, adorn the corners of the room, and a display case in the center of the space showcases the jewelry (giant silver and gold necklaces retail for an average of $30). The store’s supply of dresses, skirts, and blouses will keep you occupied with picking the perfect cut and length.

As a new store, the interior design is very basic, composed of perpendicular placements of racks, as minimalist and humble as the “Second Time Around” logo printed in a simple font outside.
With more than 25 branches nationwide, Second Time Around is making a splash on the vintage market scene, garnering nationwide attention with its blog and upcoming TV show on Bravo.