Sports | Football

Penn, Harvard stay atop the league, with Brown close behind

• STORMING BACK | After struggling against Columbia last week, Penn racked up 552 yards of offense to beat Yale.

With victories over Yale and Princeton respectively this past weekend, Penn and Harvard established themselves as the teams to beat in the Ivy League. Brown posted a solid victory over Cornell to remain one game out of the league lead, as Dartmouth celebrated its homecoming with a shutout victory over Columbia.

Penn 37, Yale 25
Just as the Bulldogs (3-3, 2-1 Ivy) prepared to celebrate an impressive win over top-ranked Penn (5-1, 3-0 Ivy), they were forced to watch a 20-10 fourth-quarter lead evaporate as the Quakers scored 27 points in the final 13 minutes to secure their 18th consecutive Ivy League victory, good for second-best in school history. Junior quarterback Billy Ragone passed for three touchdowns while rushing for another, and running back Brendan Colavita rushed for a career-high 156 yards. The fourth quarter featured two critical special teams plays, as Penn recovered an onside kick and a fumbled kickoff return. Senior running back Alex Thomas spearheaded the Bulldogs offense, rushing for an impressive 204 yards and a touchdown. Senior quarterback Patrick Witt also posted solid numbers for the Elis, passing for 256 yards and two touchdowns. Yale looks to rebound this Saturday as it travels to New York to play Columbia, while the Quakers will look to extend their winning streak this weekend in Providence against Brown.

Brown 35, Cornell 24
Led by senior quarterback standout Kyle Newhall-Caballero, the Bears (5-1, 2-1 Ivy) earned a hard-fought 35-24 victory over Cornell (2-4, 0-3 Ivy) in a game that featured two very talented signal callers. Newhall-Caballero passed for two touchdowns and rushed for two more while setting a new career high with 43 rushing yards. Big Red sophomore quarterback Jeff Matthews had a standout game under center, passing for 402 yards in a losing effort, marking only the fifth 400-yard passing game in team history. On defense, sophomore safety Josh Barut shone for Cornell, forcing a fumble for the second straight week and collecting 15 tackles. Although it played a good game, the Big Red was ultimately unable to recover from a Newhall-Caballero rushing touchdown that opened up an eight-point lead with 0:46 left in the first half. Cornell will travel to Princeton this weekend to take on the Tigers, while the Bears host Penn this Saturday in a game with championship ramifications.

Harvard 56, Princeton 39
In an offensive shootout, the Crimson (5-1, 3-0 Ivy) outlasted the Tigers (1-5, 1-2 Ivy), reaching a number of historic milestones in the process. For the first time since 1932, the Crimson topped 40 points in four consecutive games. Harvard senior quarterback Collier Winters came back from an injury to match a school record by throwing for five touchdowns, marking the second time that a Crimson QB has recorded five passing scores. The Tigers made the game close on a number of occasions, but despite 556 yards of total offense and an impressive performance by freshman running back Chuck Dibilio, who rushed for 135 yards and two touchdowns against the stingy Harvard run defense, they were never able to catch up to the Crimson. Princeton will host Cornell this weekend, while Harvard will play Dartmouth in Cambridge.