Sports | Track

Light Blue sees multiple first-place finishes as it splits for weekend meets

The Lions split up this weekend, with some of the key athletes from the women’s side heading to Starkville, Miss., for the Jace Lacoste Invitational at Mississippi State University, while others stayed much closer to home, as they traveled to Rutgers University in New Jersey to take part in the Metropolitan Championships.

Junior Sharay Hale blew out the competition in the 200m dash, finishing almost a second ahead of the second place finisher (23.83 seconds). Her classmate Kyra Caldwell also took top honors, finishing first in the 400m hurdles.

The women’s 4x400m relay team also finished in top spot, as Hale and Caldwell were joined by senior Laura Vogel and sophomore Yamira Bell to cross the finish line at 3:40.88, nearly three seconds ahead of the next competitor.

In the field, sophomore Uju Ofoche reigned supreme, posting a remarkable 6.16m in the long jump—a number good enough for first place as well as a school record. Junior Monique Roberts and freshman Tayler Johnson took the top two spots in the high jump, both clearing the 1.71m mark.

In New Jersey, several runners stood out. Freshman Billy Kobelczyk took first in the 400m dash, and junior Dylan Isaacson finished first in the 800m.

Sophomore Julie Alexander finished first in the women’s 400m hurdle event, while freshman Cody Love continued his stellar performance this season with another first place finish in the men’s 400m hurdles.

Junior Sarah Engle took to the field to attempt the pole vault, clinching first place in the event, and the women’s distance medley squad finished first by nearly 20 seconds.

With just a few short weeks left to prepare for the Outdoor Heptagonals, the Lions will travel to the University of Pennsylvania for the competitive Penn Relays.