BREAKING: ROTC Resolution passes

The USenate voted to pass the proposed resolution.

3:11 p.m. Bollinger calls for a vote on the resolution. 51-17-1. Resolution passes.

3:08 p.m. On clarifying what the Senate will actually vote on: "If this passes, I think there's a general understanding that what this means is that there's a favorable sentiment for the return of ROTC" adding, "this is a powerful, powerful vote."

3:03 p.m. The only resolution that hasn't been stricken down yet is "that Columbia University welcomes the opportunity to explore further mutually beneficial relationships with the Armed Forces of the United States, including the participation in the programs of the Reserved Officers Trainings Corps."

3:00 p.m. "I don't believe in evolution so don't teach it." A student senator there using an analogy to argue that just because one doesn't believe in war doesn't mean t shouldn't be allowed to happen.

2:56 p.m. More discussion to modify the language ofthe resolution. Again, a central issue here is whether the resolution is clear enough to vote on.

2:52 p.m. "We cannot have a program on campus that discriminates against students on the basis of their sexual orientation. That is our policy." ... "I will assume, for the purpose of this resolution, that this is resolved." - Bollinger

2:48 p.m. Professor disapproves of Tao Tan's analogies on discrimination in his speech arguing that it reflects he doesn't have an understanding of the issues of discrimination due to his "trivial" examples. She adds, "Likewise transgendered students continue to be systematically and legally excluded in many ways."

2:45 p.m. Students can join ROTC. "Do we want to have university endorsement and move ROTC to a different level than it was?

2:44 p.m. After some talk about amending the language of the resolution, not much happened and now we're back to discussing the original resolution.

2:43 p.m. "I want to talk about what we were here to discuss."

2:41 p.m. "ROTC will be under full academic control if it returns."

2:38 p.m. About ten people right now have their hands raises wishing to offer amendments. Getting close to chaos.

2:35 p.m. Updates here have been sporadic. Internet access very spotty. Liveblogging on my iPhone...

2:32 p.m. Many people are growing impatient with some interruptions. Not very civil right now.

2:31 p.m. lots of confusion amongs body what's going on.

2:28 p.m. Outisde the meeting, there is an anti-ROTC protest of around 20 people banging drums and chanting. Inside the conference, there is a student group of around five.

2:25 p.m. Two-thirds vote passed. Amendment will NOT be discussed.

2:22 p.m. Motion to close discussion on a possible amendment on changing the resolution that "Columbia University consider whether it is in their interest to change the status of their current relationship with ROTC."

2:15 p.m. "It's not going to be a friendly amendment" - Bollinger.

2:14 p.m. Internet problems happening at the wrong time. Bollinger responded to the original speaker saying, "I think it's a very point that you make, I think we're really talking about whether ROTC should be invited back on the campus."

2:06 p.m. A member of the Senate wishes to amend the proposed resolution, "That Columbia University consider whether it is in its interest to change the status of their current relationship with ROTC." She argues that the current language of the resolution is in favor of bring

2:03 p.m. Taking statements from the Senate body now. "It would be a mistake not to support the ROTC policy" because it would provide a greater global presence.

2:00 p.m. Someone in the audience interrupts Tao's speech, blurting out, "You've gone over five minutes. Me. Me. Me."

1:59 p.m. Tao provides a personal anecdote in his speech.

1:55 p.m. Tao Tan, chair of the Student Affairs Committee speaking now. "If these programs return, they can only return under our terms. This is not a point for negotations this is a precondition."

1:54 p.m. Yu's speech ends. Huge round of applause for her.

1:53 p.m. “We do not want to give them faculty status, academic credit. My question is what’s the point then?”

1:51 p.m. Graduate student Liya Yu, a soc speaking now against ROTC. "What if there is another war? Is it okay to kick ROTC off again if we disagree with it?"

1:48 p.m. Professor Jim Applegate, an ROTC supporter speaking. "The implementation of the repeal is in the hands of the executive branch ... the offending law has been repealed, we trust the president of the United States and the joint chiefs of staff to act in good faith to implement the repeal."

1:41 p.m. Gordon says the "process has been without total neutrality" and that the Senate should reaffirm the status quo.

1:39 p.m. Gordon says the inconvenience of participating in ROTC off-campus is no greater than the inconvenience athletes endure.

1:35 p.m. O'Halloran announces beginning of debate: Prof Bette Gordon will speak against ROTC, taskforce member prof Jim Applegate with speak in favor. Student senator Liya Yu will speak against ROTC and student senator Tao Tan will then speak in favor.

1:30 p.m. Impassioned remarks from Executive Committee chair Sharyn O'Halloran, "This is in no way a rushed process... The USenate likes to talk," she says to laughter.

1:25 p.m. Bollinger providing introductory remarks.

Amit posted on

Hello Gaius and thanks for rnieadg my post.We obviously disagree if President Ahmadinejad should have been invited or not. I have the a few other people higher on the give no audience list than Ahmadinejad (like some of those cold blooded African leaders that let holocausts occur every day in their country). But I'm hardly this charitable when it came to him visiting Ground Zero. There's only so much this moderate can take.

+1
0
-1
Truth or Political Correctness in cu? posted on

What columbia university doesn't understand about allowing ROTC based on repeal of DADT is that, WRONG is still WRONG, and that is what homosexuality is...WRONG. Understanding discrimination, first requires someone to in fact know what is right and wrong. Regardless of what they think about being politically correct, they are still supporting what is wrong. See the Bible for the truth, since you certainly won't find it at that school!

+1
0
-1

It's Bette Gordon

+1
0
-1