Football player arrested for ordering fake IDs from website

Last Tuesday, Investigator Jonathan Reid of the New York County District Attorney’s Office intercepted a package in Lerner containing 42 false identification cards.

The recipient, Anthony Johnson, CC ’13, was arrested and now faces legal action.

The package shipped from Id Chief, a company that sells novelty IDs and operates out of China. Johnson ordered the batch of IDs at a discount price for the high quantity, and planned to distribute them to a group of friends who had gone in with him on the order. According to the Criminal Court complaint filed at the time of his arraignment last Wednesday, Johnson said that he and his friends paid $65 for each ID, and he charged his friends an additional $2 each.

“It was him and like 20 other guys,” said Allegra Roberts, CC ’13 and an acquaintance of Johnson. “The website apparently gives you two copies of each ID.”

According to the complaint Johnson has been charged with 42 counts of Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree.

Johnson, a member of the varsity football team, has been suspended from Columbia until after his court date in June.

The maximum punishment for possessing a fake ID in the state of New York is a felony charge punishable by up to seven years in prison.

According to the complaint, Johnson stated at the time of his arraignment, “I ordered the IDs online because there’s a lot of places around school where you need to be 21.”

A University spokesman said the University cannot comment on legal matters. A spokesperson for the Office of Student Affairs declined to comment on impending judicial or legal action for the students who also ordered IDs with Johnson.

While Johnson may not have been the first Columbia student to order a fake ID from this online company, he was the first one caught.

Roberts confirms that this instance was not unique. “It’s something that other football and soccer players and lots of other people have done,” she said, “and it hasn’t been a problem. He was just the one that they found out about.”

Johnson is currently at home with his family in Philadelphia, awaiting his court date.

How did they catch him?

+1
0
-1

Whatever dorm he's in needs to be shut down and converted into transfer student housing. 42 IDs? Of course his dormmates knew about it. Who do you think was buying? Wherever he is, it's an unhealthy place, for the school as well as the students. Shut it down.

Or at least let the PIKE bros live there.

+1
+1
-1

what are you saying^^^ shutup please.

+1
-3
-1

your fucking retarded man

+1
-1
-1

I think it's funny

+1
0
-1

COMMENT LOVE.

+1
0
-1

Baha, I bet no one's liking Allegra Roberts right now either!

+1
+2
-1

Allegra Roberts = dumbass

+1
+3
-1

Allegra Roberts is officially the worst friend ever

+1
+1
-1

Why have "football player" in the headline? The story didn't note that for several paragraphs..Nothing similar about those arrested for drugs, like frat house residents or frat members.

+1
0
-1

because Spectator doesn't like sports... duh.

+1
+1
-1

Operation ID league

+1
0
-1

It may be that Spec doesn't like sports or maybe the person who wrote the headline is the culprit.

+1
-5
-1

Unfortunately this is another case where young people feel they are above the law and can do whatever they please and Daddy will get them out. Hello? Alcohol is illegal if you are under 21, Drugs are always illegal, fake IDs and fake douments are always illegal. You go to jail if you do not follow these rules. Columbia (and most schools) are way too lax in enforcing theses rules. If students were immediately expelled for illegal behavior rather than coddled, there would be a lot less of it.

+1
-4
-1

Apparently, Rich was a total fucking tool in H.S. and college, spending all his free time jerking off in his room. Find me one successful billionaire, politician, entrepreneur who didn't drink some fucking beer or liquor before age 21. People like Rich should be the ones thrown in jail for being a conservative prick.

+1
0
-1

You missed the point and only commented on me personally, of which you know nothing about, and is a worthless arguement. How do you feel about smart students trying to beat the system and buy fake IDs and try to illegally sell them? This is not about drinking beer in your dorm room.

+1
-4
-1

Yeah Rich,
Zero tolerance policies work reallllly well wherever they're employed (never mind on college campuses). Colleges can't expel students who do illegal things because enrollment would be hovering around the level or your IQ. They can, however, catch one person every now and then and make an example out of them, a very weak and useless tactic (let's see if this bust actually prevents Fake IDs from being used or students from drinking. lol) The real issue is that if you are old enough to live on your own, be drafted into the military, and support yourself (as many Columbia students can and do) then you are old enough to have a drink, and shit, indulge in some other activities that might even be --gasp -- considering illegal by some squares in white collars.

+1
+2
-1

You are not very smart. Buying and selling fake IDs is not ever "considered legal by some." Buying or sling drugs is also not considered "legal by some.". It is your nonchalance toward authority that gets you into trouble.

+1
-2
-1

You, sir, are now the one missing the point: alcohol should be legal for 18+. and "sling drugs" is most certainly legal "by some" circumstances, i.e. license in california (which can be obtained for $20 and a complaint about "sleeping troubles" -- speaking from my ex's experience). and nonchalance towards authority can be warranted: I'm not too concerned about where I tether my giraffe when I'm in Alabama...but I'll try to avoid telephone poles to keep the cops happy. Rich, get your panties out of that bunch.

+1
-2
-1

speaking of tools, caitlin brown (the author of the article) was also a total tool in high school (back in staten island)... and her mothers a wrinkled, chain smoking, busybody  im just saying!          

+1
-4
-1

Why should Columbia expel students for behavior that occurs off campus? Furthermore, why spend the time convening disciplinary procedures for someone who will potentially have felony charges leveled against him? I'd rather have administrators spending time on problems that have implications for students.

+1
-1
-1

Dear Rich,

People don't need to know more about you to know that you an enormous tool.

Sincerely,
Society

+1
+2
-1

Rich I guess you don't believe in due process. Zero tolerance intent is good, but, as things have shown at the High School level also leads to abuse. This "kid" as his friends made a huge mistake. He needs to make a deal and keep this from becoming a felony conviction and the school should on a case by case basis allow 2nd chances.

+1
-1
-1

Allegra is such a dumb ass source. Caitlin is such a loser couldn't she be a real journalist and find someone better?

+1
-2
-1

as if i havent seen allegra roberts in every single bar around campus /hooking up with these “criminal” football and soccer players she speaks of

+1
+3
-1

You can cross acquaintance out of the description of Anthony Johnson's relationship to Allegra Roberts ... Allegra & Caitlin how you getting into the bars this weekend? o that's right ... bunch a hypocrites ... shit better hope Columbia doesn't find out, or else the Spec might write another dumb ass article

+1
0
-1

Just cause caitlin wrote the article doesnt mean shes taking an official stance, all it says is what happened, it doesnt say she agrees with any action that has been taken.

+1
-1
-1

she definitely did not only report on "what happened," she did no research for the article, and also as stated before she simply quoted her best friend and no one else... GREAT REPORTING, you belong in The Enquirer

+1
+2
-1

This is just bad journalism. Asking your BFF what she thinks about something isn't reporting, and including a general accusation about the entire football and soccer teams with no basis is stupid at best and libelous at worst.

+1
-5
-1

The fact that The Spectator allows an article like this to be published is embarrassing...
The title is more reminiscent of an Us Weekly celebrity exposé than a serious journalistic endeavor. Why must we always point fingers at the athletes? The fact that the student was a football player is irrelevant to the issue as a whole, clearly this minor detail is sensationalist and meant to stir up judgment/controversy. Student athletes at Columbia are a valuable asset to our community- they are not here on scholarships and are forced to balance rigorous academics with the demands of a varsity sport. Maybe we should praise, rather than vilify them over petty gossip. Shame on you Spec, shame on you.

+1
-1
-1

ok, I don't know who you're kidding, but MOST athletes did not get in here because they're smart. That's just the honest truth. They were able to get the GPA standard lowered for them BECAUSE they play a sport...is it really fair to say they should be "praised"?

+1
+1
-1

where did lioness say they got in here because they were smart. you sound like a dumba** just putting words in his/her mouth that has nothing to do with what they said. I can say the sky is blue and it doesn't make my argument right. They are just saying labeling him a football player in the title is trying to build a stereotype against football/athletes players which you are trying to enforce. Why can't it be student arrested.

Anyways, to your extraneous comment, Columbia has a holistic approach to admissions in which just having a GPA isn't enough and they want to see extra curricular activities like every other school. And playing a sport and playing it well enough to contribute to Columbia Athletics is one of those activities that they take into account. So yea, everyone gets the GPA lowered for doing something else than just studying. And it is because getting a 4.0 in high school is no longer enough to get in.

knibb high football rules!

+1
-1
-1

free speech, first amendment, it's everyone's right to write. Let her get her sources from who she wants to get them from, allow her to describe the incident as she would like to. Our personal feelings towards the situation should never allow us to begin to criticize people who take the time to disseminate information.

It's the blessing and the curse of what one could say is the most valuable amendment in our country's history.

My thoughts go to the student who has been caught, and I wish him the best of luck now that what's happened has happened.

+1
+4
-1

um... free speech, first amendment has to do with the federal government not making any laws... not about the court of public opinion. but you knew that, right?

+1
+1
-1

now the post and local philly news papers are writing stories bases of this article. Allegra and Caitlin: you single-handley brought embarrassment to his family as well attached an anchor to his career hopes. Fuck you both.

+1
+1
-1

I don't get why you're blaming the messenger here. If it wasn't the Spec, it would've been Bwog. Or some other paper that has easy access to public records. FYI, you can track Anthony Johnson's journey through the justice system by visiting http://iapps.courts.state.ny.u... - case number 2011NY021234

+1
-4
-1

Yeah I really dont understand why she's getting blamed, stuff like this gets out. Ok maybe the article couldve been written better but if it wasnt "Caitlin Brown" another spec writer wouldve written the story. And if it wasnt spec it wouldve been bwog. Yes allegra is a lame source to quote, but neither her nor caitlin told him to buy 42 ids. seriously shut the hell up blaming them for an action he did. or blame your stupid friends for opening their mouths.

+1
-1
-1

this is literally middle school level reporting. the reporter's best friend consists of all the quotes. furthermore, the the article seems to harp on the athletic involvements of the accused. relevance? it implies a lot more than I presume the article is trying to say and unfairly so.

+1
-2
-1

Why are soccer players mentioned in Allegra's quote?

+1
+2
-1

Hey Spec, do you have a copy of the official criminal complaint?

+1
+3
-1
You voted '-1'.

This is tragic. This is a young man, who was raised by a good hard working class family, who gave up things, so that their son could go to the best schools, to have a better chance at life. He came up in a disciplined atmosphere, where rules and guidelines were followed, and who was never in any kind of trouble during his life. Not to say that the crime should go un-punishable, but the punishment should fit the crime. These things and worst have been happening in colleges all over the world. College kids are known to have poor judgement. This time is the beginning of life for them, and they are testing the waters. I only pray that proper justice will rule over this case, and that Anthony will be looked at as an individual, with so much potential. Is it fair to take a young man, who had no intention of commiting a serious crime, and ruin his life for not thinking. I say no. We all have been guilty of that. We just did not get caught.

+1
+2
-1

Add lib; What about the company who issues these fake ID's. If Anthony is to be held accountable, shouldn't the company that issues these ID's not be held accountable also. ARE THEY NOT THE FIRST LINE OF CRIMINALS?

+1
+1
-1

Idk...this website idChief is sketching the shit outta me. Too many have been caught. nuff said

+1
+3
-1

This whole situation is yet another piece of evidence that the legal drinking age should be 18.

+1
-1
-1