News | Morningside Heights

After false start, Five Guys to open today at 110th St.

Five Guys burger fans can rejoice—the popular burger-and-fries chain is opening its doors at 11 a.m. today.

Assistant manager Michael Morales said the opening of the Morningside Heights location at 110th Street and Broadway had been delayed by construction work.

“We were experiencing construction problems and had to close early,” Morales said of the store’s brief opening on March 12, over spring break. “Morningside Heights is a hard area.”

The delay may also have been for legal reasons, since Department of Building records show that the building didn’t have an updated Certificate of Occupancy until this past Monday.

“Right now we’re busy just trying to get this place ready and clean,” an employee said Tuesday afternoon before ducking back inside.

With the “Sorry, we’re training!” sign finally gone and employees organizing the store, people like Brittne Rivera, GS ’14, were ecstatic that the restaurant—known for its intense fanbase—is finally opening.

“When I first came here, I wrote a letter to the company begging them to open a Five Guys on the Columbia campus,” Rivera said, adding that she became an avid Five Guys fan while living in Washington, D.C.

Her husband JJ Rivera, GS ’14, noted the constant stream of students and local residents on Tuesday checking to see if the store had opened yet.

“It’s just that good that you see kids and adults lining up to see if it’s open,” he said, adding that he appreciates the blackboard where the store notes where the day’s potatoes have come from.

A number of passersby who stopped to look inside said they had never eaten at Five Guys before, but were interested based on its reputation.

“I’ve heard it’s good, but I haven’t eaten there yet,” Sasan Norouzi, Architecture ’10, said.

Dan Kang, SEAS ’14, said that even though he has given up ground beef for 2011, he’ll still be lining up for the fries.

“As everyone says, it’s delicious,” he said.

With a location directly across from Mel’s Burger Bar, Five Guys might provide some healthy competition, but Kang insisted that the real debate is between Five Guys and In-N-Out, the famed West Coast burger joint.

“I think it’s the equivalent of an In-N-Out burger,” Kang said. “To me it’s the same, but I have friends who argue about it.”

Brittne Rivera, however, said Five Guys wins. “It’s way better than In-N-Out,” she said.

Constance Boozer contributed reporting.

katie.bentivoglio@columbiaspectator.com

Oh no they didn't compare Five Guys to In-N-Out...

+1
+1
-1
You voted '+1'.