Sports

An athlete's diet: Offensive lineman Jeff Adams

When you walk into a room and see Jeff Adams, you already know he's a big guy. He is the left tackle on the football team's offensive line, so you'd expect him to be. But have you ever thought about what an offensive lineman eats to stay that way? Well, it's a lot.

On a typical day, the 6-foot-7, 300-pound Adams will eat six to eight meals for a total of 4,500-5,000 calories. Of course, he's not going to have a grandiose sit-down meal every time, but he does eat something about every two hours for a reason.

“My goal is to keep my metabolism moving, constantly digesting food so that I'm not really hungry,” said Adams.

So what does this lineman do for those six to eight meals a day?

Wake Up---(2) Servings of Oatmeal

Adams wakes up at about 8:30 a.m. and makes himself two servings of oatmeal to kick-start that metabolism before his first class.

Breakfast---(3-4) Eggs, (1) Serving of Fruit, (2) Greek Yogurts

When he gets back, Adams makes himself some eggs, grabs a piece of fruit and has one of his favorite things.

“I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt, I've always got Greek yogurt in my fridge.”

Snack---(2) Greek Yogurts, (1-2) Servings of Nuts

Typically, Adams will eat these yogurts a little before he leaves for his second class at 1:10 p.m., and will take the nuts, usually peanuts or pistachios, to snack on while learning.

Lunch---(1) Sub Sandwich, (1-2) Servings of Fruit

On his way back from class, Adams picks up a sub that's usually turkey or grilled chicken. He goes light on the toppings, with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and not much else. He'll also eat some sliced cantaloupe or pineapple for fruit.

Protein Shake---Lift---Protein Shake

This magical threesome begins at about 4 p.m., when Adams goes for his workout. He drinks a shake before lifting for energy, and then one after to replenish the calories and help build up muscle.

Dinner---(1) Burger OR (1) Serving of Chicken, (1) Salad, (1) Serving of Potatoes, (1) Serving of Vegetables

Obviously, dinner is the time when Adams really goes in on the food. A burger, salad, some potatoes, and veggies sound like enough for an entire day for most of us, but Adams isn't done quite yet.

Snack---(1) Small Sandwich

For his after-dinner snack, Adams will have either a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a turkey sandwich to keep his metabolism going.

Protein Shake

To finish off the day, Adams drinks one last protein shake before going to bed.

Even though that's a lot of food, Adams is always conscious of what he's eating.

“It's important that I eat as healthy as possible,” Adams said. “If you look at a medical record, for my body weight and my height, I'm already considered obese. So I've got to be really careful with what I put in my body.”

Whether or not it's football season also has an effect on Adams' diet, as in the off season there is simply more time.

“During the season, anything I can get my hands on is what I eat,” said the two-time first team all-Ivy member. “It's not the healthiest way to go, and it's probably not the best for performance, but I'll eat a lot more less-healthy things just to keep my weight up.”

When it's game day, Adams changes things up a bit. The team eats its pre-game meal about four hours before kickoff, and he scales it down to not get caught up with butterflies.

“I've always been one to shy away from eating too much before a game,” Adams said. “I'll only eat a serving of eggs, some toast, and a plate of potatoes, nothing more than that.”

The real pre-game preparation meal comes at dinner the night before.

“It's more important to me, getting all my energy the night before and then going to sleep,” he said. “There's always a pasta, there's usually two or three different kinds of meat, some mashed potatoes. … Then they give us a snack, later, usually Boston Market. A half chicken, mashed potatoes, and mac 'n cheese.”

Now that's something, a Boston Market meal for a snack. But after the game is when he really chows down to recover.

“Oh, I always have a huge dinner,” Adams said. “Most of the time my parents are in town, and we'll go out to eat a big steak dinner. That's the best.”

Even though Adams sticks to a pretty regimented diet, every once in a while he gives in and indulges.

“Pizza's just a high-calorie, useless meal that I love to eat,” he said. “Once every two weeks I order a late-night Papa John's pizza; every once in a while you just need your crappy food.”

So that's how Columbia's starting left tackle eats. If I were you, I wouldn't try that diet at home.

this is posted on

insane

+1
0
-1
anonymous posted on

this post made me so hungry.

+1
0
-1
^ posted on

like

+1
0
-1
Adrianellas posted on

World Of Warcraft gold for cheapwow power leielvng,wow gold,wow gold,wow power leielvng,wow power leielvng,world of warcraft power leielvng,world of warcraft power leielvngwow power leielvng,cheap wow gold,cheap wow gold,buy wow gold,wow gold,Cheap WoW Gold,wow gold,Cheap WoW Gold,world of warcraft gold,wow gold,world of warcraft gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,wow goldbuy cheap World Of Warcraft gold q3k6f7xl

+1
0
-1
ceh posted on

I delight in, result in I found just what I used to be looking for. You've ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

+1
0
-1
Self Storage posted on

Hello There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly return.

+1
0
-1
jjmurata posted on

This guy is a big machine that needs nutrition regularly....smart, a lot of relatively small meals....preparing for diabetes which might come with his physique....Goooo Big Guy

+1
0
-1
Tole posted on

A MODEST PROPOSALCFTC official Bart Chilton onelpy responded to the complaints of Ted Butler and GATA of silver manipulation on the Comex by explaining that Mr. Butler fabricated and exaggerated his data to fit his argument. Before I lay out a modest proposal to Mr. Chilton, I would like to say that based on Mr. Butler's 20-plus years of devoting his entire career to studying every aspect of the silver markets, I will assert that Mr. Butler's data and conclusions are far more worthy of respect and believability than are the empty accusations of a Government regulator who hides behind secretive data and untruthful assertions. In fact, I will go as far to say that Mr. Butler knows more about the silver market than any market professional knows about any market that I have ever studied, including my professors at the University of Chicago. Now, Mr. Chilton has onelpy asserted that there is conclusively no evidence of price manipulation in the silver market going on at the Comex. Let's look at the facts, and purely facts, as determined by price, supply and demand in the market. We know that there is a shortage of physiclal silver preventing U.S. Mint from producing enough silver eagles products to supply the demand of the market (the same set of facts apply to gold). How do we know this? You can go to the U.S. Mint's website where they explain that they had to suspend production of all gold and silver eagle minted products except 1 oz. coins due to a shortage of gold and silver bars. We also know that for over a year now, that there have been substantial premiums observed in the transactional market globally for gold and silver fabricated products (bars, coins, etc), well in excess of the transactional prices taking place on the Comex. This is evidence of extreme backwardation in the marketplace, which means that there is a severe supply shortage and the futures prices are way too low. Premiums of this magnitude point a massive demand well in excess of supply. Now, by decree of the simple LAWS of supply and demand economics, the shortage of supply and the price premiums for the supply that does exist, the market price for silver is too low. How do we know this? Because when there is a shortage, buyers bid up the price to a level that induces more supply and reduces demand until the price reaches a point at which supply and demand are balanced. Price is the ultimate allocator in any economic model. It is an undisputed LAW of economics. If the price of silver were allowed to rise to it's natural economic level in which supply and demand are balanced, the U.S. Mint would not have to suspend production, premiums on coins and bars would disappear, and the market would achieve a high degree of price/supply/demand balance. Absent the existence of this natural economic balance, we can ONLY conclude that the price is too low, and that the mountains of evidence produced by Mr. Butler and GATA can only point to the existence of extreme price manipulation on the Comex. There is no other explanation. Rather than throw out patently false accusations unsupported with proof, I onelpy challenge Mr. Chilton to dispute the evidence and proof of the TRANSACTIONAL MARKETPLACE with all the data he can onelpy produce under the Freedom of Information Act. His failure to do would only add to the proof as outlined above.

+1
0
-1

Seriously greek yogurt is 2/cup. also, I wish I could eat like this.

+1
0
-1

so much money

+1
0
-1
adoring the web site iahebrrfmw click here 8-| wdsysszosnet, posted on

sfopfnujpaju

+1
0
-1
thanks for a great site lxbvbpdtpj click here :) xobwi, :-/ posted on

tcennezcmqai

+1
0
-1