Sports | Wrestling

Light Blue sweeps the weekend, soundly defeats two Ivy competitors to end its dual season

The Columbia wrestling team successfully ended its dual season this past weekend with a pair of wins against Harvard and Brown. On Friday night, the Lions traveled to Cambridge, Mass. to face the Crimson, defeating them 32-7. Columbia won eight out of 10 matches, improving their record to 8-6 and Ivy record to 2-2. The 125-pound match went to Harvard, but then 133-pounder Kyle Gilchrist pinned Harvard’s Fermin Martinez in 3:48, starting a winning streak for the Lions. Columbia wasn’t defeated again until the 157-pound class, in which Harvard’s Walter Peppelman, ranked No.6 nationally, narrowly defeated Jake O’Hara 1-0. The winning streak for the Light Blue continued, with the remainder of the Lions coming out of their matches on top.

On Saturday, Columbia traveled to Providence for the last dual of the season and defeated Brown with a final score of 24-9. Columbia won seven out of ten matches, starting off the meet with victories in the 125- and 133-pound classes. After a loss at 141, the Lions proceeded to regain momentum and won the next three.

Brown, however, started their own winning streak with a slew of victories in the upper weights. The 174- and 184-pound matches went to the Bears, but Columbia ended the match strongly, with 197-pounder Michael Pushpak besting Brandon Shull 20-9 and heavyweight Kevin Lester winning a major decision over Tyler Cowman, 12-3. Lester’s undefeated Ivy League record will gain him all-Ivy honors, and a No. 4 seed in the EIWA tournament.

The Lions have two weeks to train for their postseason tournament, which starts Saturday, March 5 at Lehigh.