News | Morningside Heights

CU student allegedly mugged outside McBain

A Columbia student was allegedly mugged Saturday afternoon on 113th Street and Broadway.

According to the victim, Mason Fitch, CC ’12, the perpetrator came up from behind and tackled him in front of McBain Hall at about 1 p.m.

“I had no idea what was happening,” Fitch said. “He got up, kicked me in the face a couple of times, and then he got back down and threatened me.”

The assailant, who Fitch says was a black male of about 5 feet 10 inches, then threatened to “slice” or “slash” Fitch if he didn’t give up his phone and wallet.

“It was in the middle of the day and I’d been there a million times before, but there was nobody in front of me and people behind me could just see him running away,” Fitch said. “It was pretty much the perfect moment.”

Both NYPD and Public Safety officers arrived on the scene, but no security alert has been released.

“I’ve heard of muggings near campus and never paid much attention, but I’ve never heard of them being this violent,” Fitch said. “Usually they grab your wallet and it’s a two-second ordeal, but this guy started off by taking me to the ground.”

A Public Safety officer said Sunday that he could not yet comment on an investigation. NYPD's 26th Precinct did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fitch, a former Spectator Editorial Board member, said that he has not heard that the assailant had been caught or that his possessions were recovered.

This robbery marks the second mugging on or near campus recently. Another attempted robbery took place in front of Butler Library on Jan. 7, following three burglaries in Schermerhorn, Hamilton, and Pupin Halls on Jan. 1-2 and a purse stolen from a SIPA computer lab on Jan. 12.

Last week, Facilities spokesperson Dan Held said in an email that “robbery is rare on the Morningside campus,” noting that the 2010 Annual Security Report recorded four on-campus robberies in 2009, a category that includes University-owned apartment buildings in the area.

It's Fitch, not Finch.

+1
-1
-1
ColumbiaSpectator posted on

Thanks for pointing that out—it's been corrected.

+1
-1
-1

Isn't Mason a current or former Speccie? I forget...

+1
0
-1
ColumbiaSpectator posted on

He is indeed a former Spectator staff member. It's been corrected above.

+1
+1
-1

"CU student allegedly mugged outside McBain"-- What a terribly constructed headline.
"CU student mugged outside McBain" would have been just fine. "Allegedly" makes it sound like you think the poor guy might not have actually been mugged and was just making this up.

+1
+1
-1

...you can't straight up claim something without evidence. "Allegedly" because maybe Spec hasn't received any definite confirmation from a Public Safety officer - all they have is a person's testimony. Possibly doing it just to be safe.

+1
+1
-1

Usually the suspect "allegedly" committed the crime. The victim is not presented as the victim of a "alleged" crime. I've only seen it presented this way (on several occasions) in the Spectator. If you don't know if the crime happened, maybe it shouldn't be reported.

+1
0
-1

oops....an "alleged" crime

+1
0
-1

This isn't a new problem. When students take it upon themselves to beat down a few "alleged" muggers, the "alleged" muggings will stop.

+1
0
-1

Weren't there student patrols policing the campus and its environs?

+1
+1
-1

Columbia is cutting back on security guards. Even one mugging at 1 in the afternoon is too much. We consider Riverside, Broadway, Amsterdam, Morningside between 110 and 122 part of our campus. The security booths on 116 and 119 are frequently empty. Late at night or in the parks is one thing, but 1pm right on Broadway and 113 that is outrageous.

+1
+4
-1