Prof. David Epstein charged with incest with daughter (UPDATED)

The Daily News reports that political science professor David Epstein, 46, was charged today with having a sexual relationship with a young female relative his daughter. He faces a single felony incest count. If convicted, he'll face up to four years in prison.

According to the Columbia Bulletin, Epstein is currently teaching a lecture class called "Scope and Methods" as well as a class called "Research Topics and Game Theory." According to a University spokesman, Epstein is now on administrative leave.

UPDATE (8:25 p.m.): We reached Epstein on his cell phone, but he declined to comment on his court appearance today.

UPDATE (8:40 p.m.): According to NYPD, the young female relative is Epstein's daughter, age 24. He was arrested yesterday at 11 a.m. and charged with one count of incest in the third degree. According to police, the relationship appears to have been consensual.

UPDATE (9:22 p.m.): A statement from Epstein's defense lawyer, Matthew Galluzzo: "David is a respected member of the Columbia University and national academic communities and we think he deserves privacy and respect while the investigators are investigating. We are asking people to remember that these allegations are nothing more than allegations... We're asking his friends in the Columbia community to support him and give him the benefit of the doubt." Galluzzo also confirmed that Epstein is not in custody anymore—he was released, and no trial date has yet been set.

UPDATE (9:33 p.m.): Epstein is married to a tenured Columbia professor.

UPDATE (9:39 p.m.): We reached Epstein's wife as well, but she too declined to comment.

UPDATE (10:43 p.m.): According to a recent update to his Facebook page, Epstein is no longer married.

Disgusted411 posted on

This incestous relationship goes far deeper than just a 3yr term...any bet it is going to come out later that he was molesting her from a child hence why they started up again when she turned of legal age (21). Hell, he might've even coerced her into it (just my speculation). I find it hard to believe that a girl growing up in a home where her dad is a professor suddenly turns 21 and decides to have sex with him...there are definitely deeper issues that we are not hearing about. I am also curious to know who found out and pressed charges? Hmmmm...

+1
-1
-1
FoxNews??? posted on

Why has this not been on any of the news stations? It should be big news. This happened late last year and I don't remember hearing anything about this.

+1
0
-1
he posted on

faces 3 years for banging his sister or whatever?

+1
-1
-1

i suspect more along the lines of his wife's barely-legal niece.

+1
0
-1

Okay, I was wrong. "Consensual" my ass.

+1
+2
-1
ROFL posted on

this just makes it too easy for fox news.

+1
+1
-1

LET THE HATERADE POUR

+1
-2
-1
JBW posted on

Fox News? THAT'S the focus here? Are you insane? If this doesn't make "it" as a leading story for any news organization, I don't know what would. This man is a perfect example of the next thing we must come to accept if "sexual orientation" is a protected class. Question: Was Epstein's "sexual orientation" something he was "born with"? Are we being "discriminatory" if he's prosecuted? Wasn't this same outrage directed toward gays at one time? Are we not "enlightened enough" yet to see that he "can't help who he loves"? How long will we have to wait for incest fans to hold their own "Pride Festival"? Should he be given the "Don't ask, don't tell" pass? Buckle your seat belts, everyone.

+1
0
-1

ewwww gross

+1
-1
-1
yikes posted on

shitty week

+1
+1
-1
hmmm posted on

she's 24, six years beyond the age of consent. 3 years for having sex with someone related to you (assuming he even did so, despite the presumption of innocence) seems harsh. should the state really regulate who fucks whom when it's consensual, both statutorily and substantively?

+1
0
-1
logical extreme... posted on

Well, if you want to go along that line of reasoning, why is assisted suicide still illegal in most places? There's consent and everything...

Becaus laws, in this country at least, tend to reflect the opinion of society on "right" and "wrong" or however you want to phrase it. If most of society has a guttaral reaction of disgust towards incest (which I'm going to guess it does), then it's "wrong", and therefore, it's illegal. I'm not necessarily saying it's "fair", but that's how it is, and the state should probably continue making laws this way, if it wants them to be accepted by the people it's governing.

+1
+1
-1
whokebe posted on

sup mr. jinx, how's you're daughter?

+1
+2
-1
bad link posted on

You sound a lot like Scalia in his dissent to Lawrence:
“A governing majority's belief that certain sexual behavior is ‘immoral and unacceptable’ constitutes a rational basis for regulation.”

The majority of the Court saw reason. Guttural reactions are often wrong.

Whatever his wife and daughter and he and whoever decide is up to them. I just don't think jail time is a proper response if he actually did what he's alleged to have done.

+1
+1
-1
Bob in CH posted on

So what would a proper punishment be?

If not jail time, what, a fine? Payable to whom, his daughter? The state? If to his daughter, does that make her a whore? If to the State, does it make her his pimp?

Isn't he potentially guilty of sexual harassment? If sexual harassment turns on the one in the relationship's superior position to use this for their own sexual ends, then what is different between a father/daughter or a boss/subordinate ?

+1
0
-1
You're insane posted on

Another libertarian moron.

You should run for president in 2012.

Who in the world defends incest?

There are so many reasons this should be wrong.

This is not his step daughter. This is his actual daughter that he and his wife created.

+1
0
-1
i rest my case posted on

see? this is why the law DOES exist. because this is the majority view, as far as i know.

+1
+1
-1
QED posted on

@I rest my case: Fair enough.
I love how we says "so many" and then doesn't offer any...

@You're insane: I wasn't defending incest. I was arguing that it shouldn't be punished legally. You've been brainwashed into thinking everything needs to be dealt with juridically -- and harshly -- which explains perfectly today's full prisons, harsh penalties for petty and victimless crimes, and burgeoning list of newly legislated offenses.

+1
+1
-1
You're insane posted on

QED,

You're foolish to think that because I think incest is a crime that I support locking up individuals for everything. I believe everyone in prison for posession of a controlled substance should be released today and forced into treatment. I believe everyone in jail or prison for posession of pot should not be. I believe the three strikes law is inhumane in most cases. All these changes would reduce the prison population by 25%.

Next time don't make so many assumptions.

+1
+2
-1
You're insane posted on

Well, let's see....

You presume incest with your 20 year old daughter is a victimless crime. It is not. Even if it was "consensual" and the woman was an adult, the inherent nature of relationship between a father and a daughter mitigates most possibility for free will.

Second, if these two individuals decided to have a kid, we know for a fact that the possibility of birth defects increases by two hundred fold. This harms their child. This child is a victim.

Third, the father, in this case, is mentally ill. To allow him to continue this would be allowing him to suffer. He knows it is wrong, he wants to stop, but can't control his urges. Allowing him to continue would be inhumane. He needs psychiatric help. Likewise for the daughter.

You sound like a typical libertarian. If you study the history of this movement, they did not want child labor laws nor any gun laws. Quite frankly, you guys are insane.

+1
0
-1

I like harsh penalties for crimes that actually violate someones rights (such as petty theft) the word CONSENSUAL, however, means that no ones rights were violated. Hence you are right, it should not be punished legally.

+1
0
-1
falcon posted on

hey look I agree with you that not all crimes should be punished legally but incest sure as hell does,.....I bet that professor is even welcoming the solitude of his jail cell....i would, If I had to face my family after doing that

+1
+1
-1
Alt-Anonymous posted on

Anonymous: You assert that because an action is consentual, no violation of rights can exists. Does that mean that you would support someone voluntarily selling themself into slavery or involuntary servitude?13th Amendment indicates you're wrong..

+1
-1
-1
Assumptions posted on

"I believe everyone in prison for posession of a controlled substance should be released today and forced into treatment." See, you're the one making assumptions here. Just because someone is in possession of a controlled substance does not mean they are abusing or dependent on that substance. I agree they should not be in jail but they should definitely not be forced into treatment.

+1
0
-1
falcon posted on

i doubt the daughter would have given him consent...just take a frickin look at him, looks like the pig from that movie babe.........I also think that is how they found out(that the daughter complained) otherwise, how else would they have?

+1
+1
-1
so yeah posted on

this is good for the drug dealers, right?

+1
-1
-1
this is posted on

disgusting.

+1
0
-1

Nobody stays together anymore!

+1
0
-1

How would anyone even find out about this...

+1
-1
-1
Wow posted on

That's a damning statement if I ever read one. How about saying your client is innocent? "Give him the benefit of the doubt"? Oy. Awful.

+1
+1
-1

If it was consensual, is she a victim?

+1
-2
-1
just an observation posted on

I didn't say I agreed with the law. I, for one, share your view that the state should stay out of people's bedrooms; consent is consent, let's leave it at that.

And the parallel I drew with assisted suicide? I don't see why the state needs to regulate that as well, since it's a highly personal decision.

I wasn't saying whether the state should or not; I'm just saying it does, and I gave what I thought the reason why was.

+1
0
-1
Chuck posted on

On assisted suicide, while I agree that it should be permitted, there is the danger that the person has been coerced into agreeing to ending their life, or possibly being predated upon by someone with an interest in terminating their life. As for the incest, I agree. If it was consensual, what business is it of the state?

+1
0
-1
You're right posted on

I think the New Yorker and POST said relative as to not publicly out his daughter, as they have access to the same information as the Spectator.

+1
-2
-1
Alum posted on

Isn't it against reporting ethics to publish identifying information about a sex crimes victim? It should be pretty easy to find out who his daughter is..

+1
+1
-1
Questionable posted on

If she didn't want to be in the news, then maybe she shouldn't have reported an illegal activity to which she consented.

+1
-2
-1

Why isn't the daughter being arrested....? Do we only arrest the male in a consensual incestuous relationship?

+1
0
-1

Well yeah, obviously! Men are always the perpetrators of sex crimes!

+1
0
-1
Youssra posted on

hehehehehe i'm kidding no you didn't kill atnyhing..it wasn't meant to be a riddle aslan I talked about graduating this semester couple of times on this blog and even if it was a riddle guess what?! you WON:D yalla pick a prize thanks again VA:F [1.9.17_1161]please wait...VA:F [1.9.17_1161](from 0 votes)

+1
+1
-1
No, posted on

We only arrest the person who was 20 years older in an incestuous relationship.

+1
-1
-1
Eh posted on

.. i mean, i see (and agree) with the 20 year gap being 'gross'. But there is nothing wrong with a *non-related* 46 year old man dating, even marrying a 24 year old woman, In fact, it's rather commonplace in this day and age. But once this becomes 'incestuous,' suddenly only the older party (not aided by the fact that it is indeed a man) is the only one at fault and taken to jail??

i agree with your moral ethics, but not your logic

+1
0
-1
wow posted on

this is fucked up beyond belief.

+1
0
-1
Faycal posted on

One thing you could probably do to get a lot more views is make your despriction much longer, that way its key-word rich. I liked your video, and I am going to check out your website, what is some of your other channels?VA:F [1.9.6_1107]please wait...VA:F [1.9.6_1107](from 0 votes)

+1
-1
-1
Not a good week for CU posted on

Everyone else is reporting this as a relative but the Spectator says it's his daughter.
Can't the Spectator discuss how it obtained this information?

+1
+1
-1
dude it's in this post posted on

UPDATE (8:40 p.m.): According to NYPD, the young female relative is Epstein’s daughter, age 24

+1
0
-1
J. El Saad posted on

Is the daughter hot?

+1
-2
-1
J. El Saad it man posted on

Google images can't even answer this question. The public wants the TRUTH!

+1
+1
-1
timbosrice posted on

such a bad week for columbia. wonder how the ED kids who just got in today feel.

+1
-1
-1
cici posted on

Let's put it this way, this is a big consolation package to the kids who DIDN'T get in. "Well I didn't want to go to that drug/incest hole anyways..."

+1
-2
-1

Pages