Arts and Entertainment | Food and Drink

Easy seasonal recipes yield leftovers to last students all week long

As the semester wears on, vending machines and fast food delivery become increasingly tempting sources of sustenance. But healthier home-cooked food doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming—take advantage of a lazy Sunday afternoon to whip up easy dishes that can be refrigerated to last through the hectic school week.

Rosemary potato wedges

Tastier and healthier than French fries, these are a great side dish or study snack.

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a baking pan with nonstick spray.

2. Mix together two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, one tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or one teaspoon dried rosemary, one-half teaspoon garlic powder, and one-half teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl.

3. Cut six medium-sized red potatoes into wedges and add them to the bowl, tossing gently to coat them with the seasoning mix.

4. Spread the wedges one-fourth inch apart in a single layer on the baking pan and bake them for about 30 minutes, turning them over occasionally until they are tender and crisp.

They taste delicious right out of the oven but will also keep for a few days in the fridge.

This recipe makes six servings but can be multiplied for a larger group.

Vegetable soup

Nothing is better than soup on a chilly fall day, and one batch of soup can provide several easily-microwaved meals.

1. Chop up one medium-sized onion, slice two carrots into one-quarter-inch-thick pieces, trim and halve a large handful of green beans, chop four potatoes into eighths, slice eight button mushrooms into one-fourth inch pieces, and chop one-fourth cup parsley.

2. Heat one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon unsalted butter in a soup pot.

3. Sauté the onion, carrot, and green beans in the oil-butter mixture for three minutes, then add mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.

4. Add four cups of vegetable stock, three cups of water, and the potatoes.

5. Season with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and cook at a gentle boil for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

6. Add parsley just before the potatoes are fully cooked.

Serve or refrigerate.

Quinoa burgers

Quinoa, a South American grain-like crop, cooks just like rice to make perfect veggie burgers for even the most tofu-phobic students.

1. Bring two cups of water and one-half teaspoon of salt to a boil over high heat, add one cup of uncooked quinoa, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed and the quinoa seeds are tender.

2. Let the quinoa cool for a few minutes and then combine it with three-fourths cup of shredded cheddar cheese, one-half cup cottage cheese, one medium finely grated carrot, three eggs, two tablespoons of all-purpose flour, two chopped green onions, one-half tablespoon of sugar, one-fourth teaspoon of pepper, one-fourth teaspoon of ground cumin, one-eighth teaspoon of sale, and one-eighth teaspoon of garlic powder in a large bowl.

3. Heat two teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan, and then measure one-fourth cup portions of the mixture: form into patties roughly half an inch thick.

4. Fry the patties for about four minutes on each side, or until golden brown. 

The recipe makes about ten protein-filled burgers, which can be frozen and re-heated on the stovetop or in the microwave.