Judith Butler, big-deal academic, coming to Columbia (UPDATED)

Post-structuralist, feminist, queer theorist, and oft-cited academic superstar Judith Butler will be teaching at Columbia starting next fall. The English department nabbed her from Berkeley, where she's been teaching since 1993.

If you're an English, comp lit, or anthro major, you probably know who this is. The rest of you—to the Wikipedia! [Capital]

UPDATE (3:09 p.m.): Capital's original story was a bit off (though they've since updated). The News desk's Amber Tunnell just spoke to Jean Howard, the chair of the English department, and it turns out that Butler will be coming to Columbia, but as a visiting professor for the spring 2012 and spring 2013 terms. "We have every expectation that she will join this faculty full-time, but now she is just visiting," Howard said. Then, if all goes well, she'll have the opportunity to join the faculty. In the meantime, she'll still be employed at Berkeley.

me too posted on

I too had to choose between CU and berkeley (went to public schools until grad school). Even though I am going to benefit from this big time, I really am sorry for UC Berkeley and public education everywhere. When we leave CU most of us will be looking for jobs in public unis, and we all know it's not just UC that's facing cuts, hiring freezes, etc. etc. Hopefully people will be able to rise through the public system the way I did in the future...

+1
0
-1
Erica posted on

Ugh ^ that is exactly the kind of arrogant, entitled attitude we're glad is rare at Berkeley.

+1
0
-1
I'm from California posted on

and public school educated. Offered admission to Berkeley and declined, for many reasons, but one of them being California's lack of regard for public education.

i mourn with you, but this doesn't seem like a trend that's going to stop any time soon.

+1
0
-1
Daniel Marcus posted on

Great for Columbia, yes, but do realize that Judith's leaving us (we who remain at UC Berkeley) represents a tremendous loss for a campus that's been left beleaguered and broken by privatization. Before you celebrate, mourn a little. We'll be mourning a long while.

+1
0
-1

great another lefty professor. good job breaking the mold, columbia!

+1
0
-1
v114 posted on

juuuuuuddddyyyyy

+1
0
-1
hahhaha posted on

YES! this is AMAZING. hillel cant be happy though

+1
0
-1
hip hip posted on

hoooray

+1
0
-1
mrs. transfer posted on

Guess all the cool kids are ditching berkeley for columbia these days... :)))

+1
0
-1
James posted on

+1 Berkeley.
-1 Columbia.

Enjoy having this idiot who can't craft a coherent sentence.

+1
0
-1