'The Social Experiment' will force you to be nice to people

Your RAs are sick and tired of everyone being so darn unfriendly around here! Their solution: cold hard cash.

"The Social Experiment," which cryptic fliers have been advertising for the past few weeks, is a new program sponsored by Columbia's Residential Programs. It will start next Monday the 15th and end on Friday the 19th. It's a contest kind of thing! Here's how it works:

• Certain people will be chosen to be "password holders." Any student could be one.
  • Each day next week, "The Social Experiment" will put out a new "prompt" on its website (which doesn't seem to be working yet UPDATE: It works ok now!). When you say the "prompt" to a "password holder," you get a password! "Gotta catch 'em all," etc.
  • Then you go to the website and type in the passwords you've collected. There will be several correct passwords per day.
  • The 10 people who have collected the most passwords will win things. The winner gets $500!

So, yep. It's come to this.

Saori posted on

Sorry Greg, but your post only shows how lltite you understand about the technology and the implementation of it, as well as the nature of the web and information exchange. Your design centric view of web design is limiting you and preventing you from adapting to a technology that offers improvements, not setbacks.It's easy to argue about problems in any language, be it programming, markup, or a description language like CSS. Your post sounds very similar to an inexperienced programmer having trouble with the intricacies of the C language or someone who has never dealt with OOP before and encounter Java for the first time. If you had the experience, you wouldn't blame the tool, but rather you would recognize that all of your complaints are the fault of both the implementation and simply the young age of the technology.As a junior educator contributing to a college course with over 100 students learning CSS based design (as well as PHP programming), I can assure you that CSS is neither hard nor painful; if 100 students can learn it every year, and produce highly flexible, lightweight, and attractive designs with it, then maybe you just need to go back to school (and I say that without intending to offend you).

+1
0
-1

definitely don't need to be nice to one another to get the prompt.

+1
0
-1

In an economic downturn of this nature, where $500 dollars can feed an American family for two weeks, it is interesting to see Columbians give this type of money to its students to say hello. Visit Harlem, plenty of folks at community organizations will adore you, laugh with you and be your best friends for an $100 dollars donation.

+1
0
-1

Welcome to the internet! You must be new here.

+1
0
-1
anonymous posted on

nah, it's definitely retarded.

+1
0
-1

Perfect example of why something like this should happen. Spend some time learning about power and words - retarded is definitely not a word that should be connected with this event or any event. Use your Columbia education and come up with more accurate words to express your feelings, i.e. - stupid, childish, etc.

+1
0
-1
erica posted on

this makes me so sad.

+1
0
-1
Mohsen posted on

An finicnatasg discussion is price comment. I feel that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic however usually persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

+1
0
-1
Jason posted on

3 months in my first year here, and I honestly don't think people are unfriendly here...this is pointless.

+1
0
-1
Auth posted on

Well athnoer Fujitsu T5010- cant get into bios from F2. Tried the three passwords. Got a 15 dgigit all number. Ran it through the program pwgen-fsi-5x4dec and out came a password that I do not recognoze. I put that in and yep I'm in the BIOS now. This doesnt appear to let me reset the current supv password though. If I try and put in anything other than certain letters the thing just beeps for current password.Ideas? Is there no way to just crack these things open and reset something. I have three doing the same thing. They want $150 to mail it in. What is it that they do diff to clear the supv password or am I doing something wrong.thankscarito

+1
0
-1

Why are people so unfriendly here?

+1
0
-1
expectations too high? posted on

you gotta earn that greeting man, care doesn't grow on trees

+1
0
-1
phil posted on

i don't understand how this will make people more friendly

+1
0
-1
lol posted on

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol. I hope I'm a password holder.

+1
0
-1
LOL posted on

this is retarded

+1
0
-1
wow posted on

BANKAZ<CONSULTANTS

+1
0
-1
hm posted on

no way dude

+1
0
-1
hell nah posted on

1. collect underpants
2. ?
3. profit

+1
0
-1
phil posted on

i would upvote that if i could

+1
0
-1
tonyg posted on

i plan to win this

+1
0
-1