Sports | Volleyball

CU handles Jaspers for program-record ninth straight

Twenty-six days and nine games after its last loss, the Light Blue volleyball team is taking down opponents and history books with a vengeance. The Manhattan Jaspers were no match for the Lions on Wednesday night as Columbia cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win, marking its ninth victory in a row—a new program record. Columbia is now 9-2, tied for the best start in program history.

The Lions took control of the game early, winning the first set decisively, 25-12, behind a forceful attack—in the opening stanza Columbia had 16 kills to the Jaspers’ five. Freshman Madeline Rumer and sophomore Megan Gaughn led the charge with 12 and 11 kills, respectively, while freshman Katherine Keller stepped up defensively with 24 digs on the night.

The final two sets were not as lopsided, but in the end the Lions pulled through comfortably in each, taking the second set 25-19 and the third set 25-17 to finish off the match.

The Light Blue will look to continue its winning ways this weekend when it travels to Ithaca for a Saturday date with Cornell. This past weekend the Lions opened their Ivy League slate in style with a 3-1 win over the Big Red in Levien Gymnasium.