Columbia sports 101

Football
How did they do last year?
4-6 (3-4 Ivy), tied for fourth in the league.

Who should I be watching out for?
Sophomore quarterback Sean Brackett (#10), senior linebacker Alex Gross (#37), and junior offensive lineman Jeff Adams (#76)

Who’s running the show?
Head coach Norries Wilson has been at the helm since December 2005.

What should I expect this season?
The Lions were picked to finish fifth in the preseason poll, but they exceeded expectations last year, so a top-half finish isn’t unlikely.

Where can I watch?
The Light Blue plays its home games up at Robert K. Kraft Field. Just take the 1 train to 215th Street and walk two blocks north.

Basketball
How did they do last year?
11-17 (5-9 Ivy), tied for fifth in the league.

Who should I be watching out for?
Junior guard Noruwa Agho (#1), senior forward Brian Grimes (#2), and sophomore center Mark Cisco (#55)

Who’s running the show?
Head coach Kyle Smith was hired in May after former head coach Joe Jones left for the associate head coaching position at Boston College.

What should I expect this season?
Under Jones, the Lions went from consistently last in the league to middle of the pack, but Smith could be what pushes the Light Blue into the top of the conference.

Where can I watch?
Men’s (and women’s) basketball play in Levien Gymnasium, which is conveniently located on campus in Dodge Fitness Center.

Baseball
How did they do last year?
26-21 (15-5 Ivy), first in the Gehrig Division, lost to Dartmouth in the championship series.

Who should I be watching out for?
Sophomore outfielder Dario Pizzano (#25), junior first baseman Alexander Aurrichio (#30), and senior pitcher Dan Bracey (#27).

Who’s running the show?
Head coach Brett Boretti took the reins in July 2005 and has led the squad to two Gehrig Division titles and an Ivy League Championship in 2008.

What should I expect this season?
The Light Blue didn’t lose many players to graduation, so it should be poised for another title run.

Where can I watch?
The Lions play at Robertson Field—part of the Baker Athletics Complex—which is right next to Kraft Field.