CC, SEAS '14 more selective than ever

In the most selective admissions process in the University’s history, Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science admitted 9.16 percent of overall applicants for the class of 2014.

The admit rates for both schools have decreased, which makes the new class of 2014 the most selective yet. The College accepted 8.30 percent of its applicants, down from 8.92 percent last year and 8.71 percent the year before. SEAS accepted 13.36 percent of its applicants this year, down from 14.42 percent last year and 17.6 percent the year before.

This decrease stems from the increasing popularity of both schools. Columbia College received 21,747 applications total, up from 21,274 last year and 19,117 the year before. This year, 1,805 of these applicants were admitted. SEAS admitted 592 of 4,431 total applicants—277 more than last year.

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jessica Marinaccio said, in a statement. “Chosen from among 26,178 applicants in the most selective admissions cycle in our history, admitted students hail from 75 countries, all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.”

Last year, the admitted students represented 78 countries and all 50 states.

This cycle was the most competitive, despite the increased class size norm Columbia officially adopted this year. The class of 2014 is the second to be affected by the new size, which was increased by 50 students last year for the Class of 2013 and beyond. This change was made to create a class size norm of roughly 1070 students, up from the previous standard of around 1020.

2014 is also the last class to be accepted through the unique Columbia Application, since the University announced recently that it will be adopting the Common Application in an effort to make the process accessible to a wider pool of students. Peer institutions have reported an increase in application numbers following a transition to the Common Application, though the Office of Undergraduate Admissions said it is uncertain of what type of increase Columbia expects, if any, due to the switch.

Other Ivy League universities also sent out decisions this week, with uniquely competitive admit rates. At Harvard, 6.92 percent of applicants were accepted—the most competitive rate in the Ivy League. Brown was most similar to Columbia with a 9.30 percent acceptance rate, and Cornell had the highest admit rate in the Ivy League with 18.40 percent.

Though waitlist numbers at Columbia are not public, representatives from Admissions said they plan on utilizing the waitlist to the extent necessary depending on yield rate.

Marinaccio said of the class of 2014, “These young men and women are in a larger sense the next generation of leaders, innovators, scientists, engineers and humanists who will make significant contributions to society as Columbians have been making for over 250 years.”

amber.tunnell@columbiaspectator.com

Why is Stanford not listed on this chart? Stanford's record 7.18 percent acceptance rate this year was eclipsed only by Harvard's 6.92 percent admit rate among all colleges and universities in the United States.

+1
0
-1

Stanford is not an Ivy League ... that is why it is not on the chart.

+1
+1
-1