A&E

Alum Kathryn Bigelow first woman to win 'Best Director'

Columbia School of the Arts alum Kathryn Bigelow got the top honor at tonight's Academy Awards as Best Director for her film "The Hurt Locker," a fictional story about the war in Iraq.

Not only did Bigelow score for Best Director, but "The Hurt Locker" picked up five other Oscars, including Best Picture.

Update (2:12): Full story after the jump.

At tonight's 82nd Academy Awards ceremony, School of the Arts alumna Kathryn Bigelow '81 made history, becoming the first woman ever to win the Achievement in Directing category, and only one of four total nominated in the award's history. For her film "The Hurt Locker," Bigelow also walked away with the biggest prize of the evening: Best Picture. "There's no other way to describe it—it's the moment of a lifetime," Bigelow said in her acceptance speech.

On top of making such advances for women in the film industry, with one small gold statue, Bigelow did not forget the film's moral and emotional center: the troops. "I'd just like to dedicate this to the women and men in the military who risk their lives on a daily basis in Iraq and Afghanistan and around the world. And may they come home safe. Thank you."

"The Hurt Locker" left this year's telecast the major winner, capturing wins in six categories overall: the aforementioned Best Picture and Director races, as well as Best Original Screenplay, Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.

Reiterating her earlier speech in her second of the night for Best Picture, Bigelow, brandishing two Oscars in hand, gave due regard to the those who give their lives to helping others: "Perhaps one more dedication, to men and women all over the world who ... wear a uniform. Not just the military—HazMat, emergency, firemen. They're there for us and we're there for them. Thank you. Thank you."

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this post listed "The Hurt Locker" as a documentary—it is a fictional story.

ok, but posted on

if she were a sophomore would she be in the holy trinity or would she be a shower girl?

i'm guessing shower girl.

+1
0
-1

shower girl definitely.

+1
0
-1
tonyg posted on

ya

+1
0
-1

what's a shower girl?

+1
0
-1
Morningsider posted on

This movie is not a documentary.

+1
0
-1
brc posted on

Fixed--thanks.

+1
0
-1
WOOOO! posted on

GO COLUMBIA!

+1
0
-1
Leila posted on

I do consider all the concepts you've introduced on your post. They're very convincing and will definitely
work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for starters.

May just you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time?
Thanks for the post.

Here is my web blog next page

+1
0
-1