Sports | Basketball

Lions send seniors out with a win over Brown

Providence, R.I.— In a game that was close until the final minutes, it was Columbia that was able to finish on top. In their final game of the season, the Lions (11-17, 5-9 Ivy) downed Brown (11-20, 5-9 Ivy) 65-56 to send seniors Kevin Bulger, Patrick Foley, and Niko Scott out on a high note.

The Light Blue jumped out to an early 9-4 lead on a 3-pointer by Scott with 14:49 still to go in the first half. Two lead changes later and the score was tied at 17 with 4:19 remaining, but back-to-back treys by Scott gave Columbia a six-point lead with under two minutes to go.

A 3-pointer by Brown’s junior guard Garrett Leffelman cut the Lions’ lead to just three at the half though, 26-23.

At the half, Scott led all scorers with 12 points on 4-for-5 shooting form beyond the arc. The Light Blue held an advantage on the boards, as well, out-rebounding the Bears 22-17. However, Columbia was not shooting that well, making only 37.9 percent of its shots. Though that was better than the Bears, who made only 31 percent.

The Lions maintained their lead throughout the beginning of the second half, but a three-point play by Brown’s freshman forward Andrew McCarthy gave the Bears a 38-37 lead with 12:30 to play. There were four lead changes between then and the 6:40 mark when Scott hit yet another shot from downtown to give Columbia a 48-46 lead.

Up by only five with 1:09 to play, Bulger stole the ball from Brown’s senior forward Matt Mullery, sealing the win for the Light Blue.

In his final performance as a Lion, Scott had a game-high 22 points on 6-for-8 3-point shooting and five steals. Bulger finished with three points, three boards, and four assists.

Freshman center Mark Cisco had 10 rebounds and six points and sophomore forward Blaise Staab had eight boards and six points—a good sign for next season.

Foley, who has been rehabbing a right shoulder injury, started in his final game, but only played two minutes.