Big Red continues to stand atop Ancient Eight rankings

The biggest story in Ivy League basketball continues to be Cornell, as the Big Red swept its opponents this weekend en route to a No. 22 ranking in the ESPN/USA Today poll.

Cornell (20-3, 6-0 Ivy) earned two double-digit victories this weekend, defeating Yale 90-71 and Brown 74-60. Cornell and Princeton are the only two Ancient Eight teams that remain undefeated in league play.

Against the Bulldogs, the Big Red shot 47.8 percent from the field, slightly lower than Yale’s 47.9 percent, but Cornell made 48.1 percent of its 3-pointers, resulting in 27 points from beyond the arc. On the other hand, the Elis made only 3 of their 16 shots from downtown.

Four Big Red players finished with over ten points, with senior forward Jon Jacques leading the team with 17 points. Senior center Jeff Foote, current Ivy League Player of the Week, posted a double-double with 15 points and 13 boards.

Senior guard Alex Zampier led Yale with 11 points, while junior forward Jordan Gibson had a team—high five rebounds.

The next night, Cornell took on Brown, and had its first legitimate scare during Ivy play, as the Bears jumped out to an eight-point lead with just over ten minutes to go in the first half. By the end of the half, though, the Big Red had managed to claw its way back to a three-point lead, and would eventually go on to win by 14.

Cornell again had four scorers in double figures, with Foote leading the pack with 17 points and nine boards. Senior forward Matt Mullery led the Bears with a game-high 21 points.

This weekend, Cornell will face off against Penn on Friday before traveling to New Jersey to take on Princeton in a clash of undefeated squads.

Yale (9-14, 3-3 Ivy) won its other matchup this weekend, defeating Columbia (8-12, 2-4, Ivy) 79-64 on Saturday. On the other hand, Brown (7-16, 1-5 Ivy) fell to the Light Blue the night before, 65-54.

Yale and Brown will both host Harvard and Dartmouth this weekend. Harvard (15-5, 4-2 Ivy) lost its second Ancient Eight contest this weekend, when it fell to Princeton 56-53 at home. Against the renowned Tiger defense, the Crimson made only 36 percent of its field goals, while Princeton made 43.6 percent of its shots.

Senior guard Jeremy Lin led Harvard with a game-high 19 points, while freshman forward and Ivy League Rookie of the Week Kyle Casey grabbed a team-high nine boards.Junior guard Dan Mavraides and junior forward Kareem Maddox led the Tigers with 14 points each.

The Crimson recovered the next night with a 80-66 win over the Quakers. Though Harvard had four players score in double digits, Lin led his squad again with 19 points. Casey posted 13 points and six rebounds.

Penn was led by freshman guard Zack Rosen’s 19-point performance.

In its other matchup this weekend, Princeton (13-5, 4-0 Ivy) crushed Dartmouth 54-38. The Tigers held Dartmouth to 36.4 percent shooting, resulting in the Big Green’s second lowest point total this season. Mavraides led his squad in points again with 10 points, while senior center Pawel Buczak grabbed a team-high six boards.

Dartmouth senior guard Robby Pride led his team with 10 points.

The night before its loss to the Tigers, Dartmouth (4-16, 0-6 Ivy) fell to the Quakers (13-5, 4-0 Ivy) in a nail-biter, 53-51. Rosen again led Penn with 16 points, while junior forward Jack Eggleston posted a team-high nine rebounds.

Big Green junior guard Ronnie Dixon and sophomore forward David Rufful both had 17 points in the loss.

This weekend, Penn and Princeton will each host Columbia and Cornell.