News | Morningside Heights

Associate professor assaults Arts School employee at local bar

Columbia associate professor Lionel McIntyre assaulted Margaret Camille Davis, a production manager at the Columbia University School of the Arts, on Friday night—punching her and bruising her eye, according to police reports and local eyewitnesses.

McIntyre, a 59-year-old associate professor in the urban design program at the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, was arrested on charges of assault and harassment on Monday, according to Lt. John Grimpel. Grimpel also confirmed that Davis reported the incident to the 26th Precinct in Harlem earlier that day.

According to the police report, McIntyre assaulted Davis at Toast, a local bar on 125th Street and Broadway, on Friday evening. “He punched the victim in the face, causing bruising and redness in the right eye,” Grimpel said. He added that the case is now headed for the district attorney’s office.

Daniel Morgan, a local resident on 123rd Street who said he has known both the offender and the victim for around five years from frequenting Toast—said that he was in the bar earlier that evening but left before either arrived.

Morgan said he ran into Davis on the street on Saturday, when he saw her injuries from the fight. “Her right eye was closed from getting a beating,” he said, adding, “I told her, ‘We got to go to the 26th Precinct and report this immediately.’” According to Morgan, nobody in the bar on Friday night had made any calls to the police, and Davis did not initially report the assault because she was frightened.

“I told her, ‘You are not offending anyone. You were attacked,’” he said. Though he has seen McIntyre get vocal at the bar, Morgan said he had never seen McIntyre get violent.

He added, “What really pisses me off is that no one did anything about it.” Morgan said that he was not sure about what caused the fight, though he noted that, over the past two years, McIntyre has generally been involved in increasingly heated conversations in the bar.

Davis waited three days to inform the police, because, according to Morgan, “She was being pressured not to make waves.”

The bartender and Monday night manager, Jeremy—who declined to give his last name—said that he had heard that something happened but was not there on Friday night. He declined to comment further.

Three locals at the bar on Monday night—all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity—also confirmed that the altercation had occurred but declined to give any further details.

Robert Hornsby, the director of media relations for Columbia University, declined to comment, citing the general University policy of remaining silent about police investigations.

Lex Dunbar, a bartender who, according to Morgan was working at the time of the assault, also declined to comment.

Davis and McIntyre could not be reached for comment.

wavedeva posted on

Thank you Mr. Morgan for assisting Ms. Davis. It is not acceptable for Ms. Davis to be assaulted to where her eye is closed from the injury. Hopefully there is no eye damage. Thank you for doing the right thing and not remaining silent. Mr. McIntyre obviously has anger-management issues and needs therapy.

Now, let me get this straight. McIntyre was arguing about white privilege but he decided to beat someone smaller than him. In addition, with witnesses "not wanting to make waves" they seem to have been betting that "Ivy League" privilege would cause McIntyre's despicable actions to go unnoticed. Looks like McIntyre wanted to benefit from class privilege. How is that different from white privilege?

+1
+5
-1
replyer posted on

wavedeva,

are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between the physical characteristic of an individual being bigger in size than another individual to the social structure which gave rise to the prevalence of white privilege?

seriously????
i mean.. seriously???

wow.

+1
+3
-1

What about MALE privilege?

+1
+2
-1
ColumbiaSpectator posted on

Spectator does not tolerate comments that are racist or are personal attacks. Please refrain from this kind of commenting. Thank you.

+1
+1
-1

Eric Holder says you are a coward

+1
-2
-1
msmsw posted on

As a recent graduate of CUSSW and a resident of Morningside Heights, I know that discussions around White privilege are an everyday occurrence at Columbia. Why is wavedeva's comment considered racist? Please become educated about this scholarly concept before you attempt to censor reader's comments. If we can't discuss pertinent social issues here, then where?

+1
-5
-1
Leverne E Jones posted on

This behavior is obviously not acceptable. Alcohol plus a very sensitive topic of conversation can sometimes turn into a violent confrontation, as it did here. We all should learn something from the people involved. I know Mr. McIntyre regrets what happened and would not do it again.

+1
-4
-1

Old school rule...you never hit a women. If you do, you are a punk.

+1
+2
-1