Heavyweights and women's rowing in action

Columbia’s heavyweight rowing squad will race for the sixth consecutive weekend when it travels to Boston to pursue the Doc Lusins Trophy. The women’s team, on the other hand, will return to action after a weekend off to compete for the Dunn Bowl in Providence.

The No. 7 heavyweights (10-0) have had a remarkable spring season thus far, winning all five of their regattas. Their most recent victory came at the Blackwell Cup last weekend, where they outpaced No. 12 Yale and Penn with a time of 5:54.0 in the varsity eight race.

This Saturday, the Light Blue will be competing against No. 10 Syracuse and No. 11 Boston University at the Doc Lusins Trophy regatta. Last year, the Columbia first varsity boat defeated both the Orange and the Terriers in a time of 5:42.3. Syracuse finished second in 5:45.7, over 11 seconds ahead of Boston University.

The Light Blue second varsity boat finished in third with a time of 6:27.5 due to broken equipment. The freshman eight finished in 6:03.1, behind Syracuse (5:54.6), but ahead of Boston (6:06.3).

The Doc Lusins Trophy regatta is scheduled for Saturday in Boston.

The women’s team will return to racing this weekend when it travels to Providence to take on Ivy foes Cornell and No. 9 Brown for the Dunn Bowl.

The Lions (6-3) are coming off a successful trip to Washington, D.C. where they came in first in the George Washington Invitational. On the first day of racing, the varsity eight squad finished in 6:31.7, defeating Saint Joseph’s and host George Washington. On the second day of the invitational, the Light Blue defeated Georgetown with a time of 6:46.3 and Navy in 6:23.9.

Last season at the Dunn Bowl, Columbia pulled off a second-place finish with a time of 6:36.1. The Bears finished in first place—over ten seconds ahead of the Lions—and the Big Red came in third, just one-tenth of a second behind the Light Blue.

The freshmen also came in second, finishing behind Brown with a time of 7:43.9. The second varsity finished third in 7:01.7.

The Dunn Bowl is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday in Providence.