Softball drops two to Manhattan, readies for Cornell

The Columbia softball team was unable to pick up a victory on Thursday in its doubleheader against Manhattan. The Lions (12-26, 2-1 Ivy) will head into their weekend series against Cornell with a seven-game losing streak.

In the first game of the two-game series, the Light Blue fell 6-2 to the Jaspers. A passed ball in the first inning and a costly error by shortstop Keli Leong in the third gave Manhattan three unearned runs. Pitcher Erica Clauss was given the loss despite giving up only two runs in five innings of work. The Lions were also hindered by a weak offense, as only Karen Tulig and Maggie Johnson were able to connect with the ball.

Columbia’s offensive struggles continued in the second game, leading to a heartbreaking 2-1 defeat. In this game, however, the Light Blue was able to produce hits but was unable to capitalize with runners on base. The Lions were able to get eight hits, including three from Tulig, but stranded nine players. Johnson earned the loss despite giving up only one run in a complete-game effort.

Cornell (31-9, 10-2 Ivy) is also coming off back-to-back losses to nonconference foes. The Big Red was swept by Syracuse on Wednesday, dropping the first game 3-0 and the second 8-0. Cornell struggled to get hits, only getting nine over the course of both games while Syracuse garnered 16.

Last season, Cornell swept the four-game series against Columbia. The Lions were outscored 47-13 by the Big Red.

The games are scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday at the Baker Athletics Complex.