Dartmouth builds on division lead in weekend action

After three weeks of Ivy baseball, Dartmouth sits alone at the top of the Rolfe Division while Columbia finds itself in a three-way tie for first in the Gehrig Division.

The Big Green (14-10, 11-1 Ivy) took three of its four games against Brown (12-14, 8-4 Ivy) this weekend. Dartmouth swept Saturday’s doubleheader, winning both games by a score of 5-2. Second baseman Jeff Onstott led the Big Green offense with three hits, one RBI, and two runs scored over the course of the day. Outfielder Brett Gardner also had three hits.

In the first game, junior Robert Young earned the win for Dartmouth, pitching six and a third innings of two-run ball. Young gave up six hits and five walks, while striking out three. Sophomore Ryan Smith relieved him to notch the save, striking out both batters he faced.

Junior Ben Murray started game two for the Big Green and yielded two runs on eight hits, no walks, and four strikeouts over eight innings. Smith got his second save of the day, fanning two of the three batters he faced.

The second-place Bears were led by Matt Nuzzo, who had two hits and an RBI on the day. Mark Gormley was tagged with the loss in game one after giving up five runs (three earned). Conor Burke was charged with the loss in the second decision, giving up four earned runs in six innings.

The Big Green will visit Yale for a four-game set this weekend, while Brown will play a pair of doubleheaders against Harvard.

The Crimson (8-22, 6-4 Ivy) is currently third in the Rolfe Division after splitting Saturday’s doubleheader with fourth-place Yale (10-14, 5-5 Ivy). Harvard dropped the first game 4-2 before recovering to take the second game by the same score.

Second baseman Taylor Meehan led the Crimson offense on Saturday with four hits, two runs, and an RBI. Left fielder Charlie Neil carried Yale with four hits and two runs over the course of both games.

Yale’s Brandon Josselyn earned the victory in the first contest after giving up two runs on six hits and six strikeouts in seven innings of work. Harvard’s Jonah Klees suffered the loss.
Despite only pitching two-thirds of an inning, Will Keuper picked up the win for Harvard in game two. Yale’s Joe Castaldi took the loss.
Harvard took a break from conference play on Sunday to compete against Boston College in the consolation game of the Beanpot tournament at Fenway Park and lost 9-5 to the Eagles.

The Bulldogs and the Crimson resumed their four-game series on Tuesday with another doubleheader. Harvard took the first game by a score of 7-4 and cemented the two-game sweep with a narrow 3-2 win in game two.

The race for first in the Gehrig Division is much closer, with Columbia, Princeton, and Cornell all tied for the top spot. Penn is a distant fourth, four games out of first.

Heading into the weekend, the Lions (8-24, 5-7 Ivy) were two games ahead of the Tigers and the Big Red, but they surrendered that lead by dropping three of their four games to Princeton (12-14, 5-7 Ivy).

The Light Blue split the doubleheader on Sunday, winning the first game 8-0 before dropping the second contest 11-4. First baseman Ron Williams led Columbia’s offense with four hits and two RBI on the day.

The Lions’ victory was largely the result of Joe Scarlata’s lights-out performance on the mound. Scarlata pitched seven shutout innings in game one, giving up just four hits and striking out seven. Geoff Whitaker wasn’t as successful in game two, allowing six runs to score in just four innings of work.

Jon Broscious led Princeton’s offense with four hits (including two homers and a double), three runs, and three RBI on the afternoon.

Columbia continued to struggle in Monday’s twin bill, falling to the Tigers in the first game 3-2 and dropping the second decision 5-3.

The Lions will try to regain the top spot in the Gehrig Division when they host a four-game series against Cornell this weekend. Princeton will travel to Philadelphia for a pair of doubleheaders against Penn.

Cornell (8-17, 5-7 Ivy) also found itself with a share of the division lead after taking three of four games from Penn (11-19, 1-11 Ivy) this weekend.

The Big Red won the first game on Saturday 12-5, before the Quakers triumphed in the second, 6-3. On Sunday, Cornell took both contests, winning the first 3-2 and the second 6-4.