Sports | Field Hockey

Tigers End Light Blue's Win Streak

Columbia field hockey’s three-game win streak came to an end yesterday against Princeton (3-2, 3-0 Ivy) in a 3-0 defeat at Princeton’s Class of ’52 Stadium.

The contest was a defensive struggle early on, as neither team scored until the 47:28 mark when Princeton’s Kraftin Schreyer scored on a penalty stroke. Princeton later added two more goals, one at 62:20 off an attack penalty corner by Paige Schmidt, and again at 66:04 by Sarah Reinprecht.

Despite the final score, head coach Katie Beach was not disappointed with her team’s play.

“We were very pleased with what we did, but there are things that obviously we need to get better at,” she said. “The 3-0 score does not really indicate the level at which we played, though.”

Beach was especially impressed with the way freshman Julia Garrison handled her matchup against the U.S. Under-21 national team member, Reinprecht. “Julia was really poised against [Reinprecht], as Princeton usually generates a lot out of her.”

Reinprecht was not the only Princeton standout that Beach had to worry about—she also made special plans going into the game to neutralize Schmidt, last year’s Ivy League Player of the Year.

“We changed a few things tactically to frustrate her, going with a three-quarters press instead of a full press,” she said.

While the Lions (3-4, 0-2 Ivy) were able to keep the two Princeton stars to only one goal a piece, they were unable to generate any offense of their own, taking only eight shots compared to Princeton’s 23. But this is something Beach plans to work on this week in practice. “We have to get our forwards to believe they are goal scorers,” she
said. “We will give them the confidence they need.”

Defensively, Beach couldn’t be happier with her team’s performance. “Our backfield did a great job,” she said. “Hannah Smith, Megan Davidson, Jacqui Munro—everyone came out on fire to prove that Columbia needs to be respected a lot more, not only within the league, but within the nation. I credit everyone who was out there.”