Pulitzer Prize Winners Revealed

Stories about an Imam in America and a missing family in Oregon topped the list of notable works of journalism this year.

The Pulitzer Prize, the highest award in journalism, was announced today at 3 PM at the Columbia Journalism School. The winners are decided by a board of distinguished figures in journalism and at the University.

New York City-based newspapers were the big winners this year: the New York Times won the Best Feature Story for a story on an Imam's struggles to remain and raise the faithful in the United States. The New York Daily News was awarded the top prize in editorial writing for a series of editorials calling on the city to properly compensate Sept. 11, 2001 workers.

The Wall Street Journal was the only paper to receive two awards. They garnered the Public Service prize for their investigation on back-dated stock options, and the International Reporting prize for their reporting on the negative affects of China's booming economy.

The Los Angeles Times won best explanatory reporting for a series on the world's oceans, and the Oregonian was honored with the best breaking news coverage for its stories on a family lost in the wilderness.

In the prizes for letters and drama, The Road , by Cormac McCarthy won best fiction work and the The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright was awarded best work of non-fiction.