After Winning Debut, Women Take on Ivies

At the end of spring break, the Columbia women's crew team met high expectations as they made an impressive debut to their spring season. Now, as they head into their next race, the Connell Cup, Lions rowers feel the pressure to continue their early success.

Last week, Columbia concluded its week of spring training in Florida with a race against Central Florida State and Syracuse. The Lions came out of the race with victories in the varsity eights, second varsity eights, and novice eights. In addition to winning, Columbia's varsity boat completed the course five seconds ahead of the second place finisher, Central Florida State. The first novice boat also posted a victory with a time of 7:05.9, nearly ten minutes ahead of either of their opponents.

This weekend, Columbia's women rowers will begin their series of regional competitions as they take on Ivy rivals Yale and Penn. Penn also opened their spring season last weekend, taking on Clemson, Indiana, Marist and Purdue. Although the Quakers' varsity eight finished third overall, the final result was close and Penn left the race with a hopeful result. On the other hand, Yale has not yet rowed this season, and will be facing on the Lions and Quakers in their first race of the spring season.

This weekend's race marks the beginning of a string of races for the Lions' women from now until the end of April. After these races in the Northern region, Columbia's women will compete in the EAWRC Sprints, hoping to qualify for the NCAA Championships.